IOSvL2 is an implementation of Cisco IOS Layer-2 switching code (based on the DSGS code branch) running as a full virtual machine on a hypervisor.
IOSv supports up to 16 Gigabit Ethernet interface (one reserved for management purposes)
IOSvL2 is primarily a Layer-2 switch although Layer-3 control plane and data-plane functionality is also present in the image.
The following list of features are included in the IOSvL2 image:
- Layer-2 forwarding (auto-config’d)
- Switchport (auto-config’d)
- 802.1q trunk, 802.1q vlans (auto-config’d)
- Spanning Tree (auto-config’d)
- Port-Channel (Pagp and Lacp)
- 802.1x passthrough
- Dynamic Arp Inspection
- DHCP Snooping
- IP device tracking
- Switched Virtual Interfaces
- Layer-3 forwarding over SVIs
- Routing protocol support (ISIS is NOT supported)
- VTP v1-3
- Inter-vlan routing
- Vlan Access Maps (VACLs / access control lists for vlans)
- ACL functionality for both layer2 and layer3 protocol packets
- Dynamic Trunking Protocol support
- Switchport protected mode
Port mirroring (SPAN) and Private Vlans are NOT currently supported
Note: auto-config'd means that this feature is also supported from the AutoNetkit auto config engine.