Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > IP Networking (CCENT) > Discussions

_Communities

13281 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2014 2:28 AM by Adam RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Cannot ping PC client from switch

Jan 7, 2010 3:45 AM

clemouk 3 posts since
Aug 27, 2008

This is driving me crazy now, I have a 2900XL switch with a VLAN1 address of 172.16.0.11.

I also have a 2610XM router connected to Fa0/16 which is running a DHCP server on 172.16.0.254. When I connect the PC client to Fa0/1 it obtains an address of 172.16.0.1 from the DHCP server (all good so far).

The problem is I can ping the switch from the PC but not the other way around. I have disabled all firewalls and security settings on the PC (Windows XP) but it just isn't working.

I've also tried connecting a second PC to another switch port and tried from there, the same happens. I can ping the switch but not the PC, likewise the two PC's cannot see each other - they are both on the same VLAN.

I am sure that I'm missing something obvious but would appreciate some guidance on this?

Thanks

Lee

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,429 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    1. Jan 7, 2010 4:58 AM (in response to clemouk)
    Re: Cannot ping PC client from switch

Do you have a VACL in place on the switch?

Or any other ACLs?

Do you have an IDS/IDP on your network?

"show arp" on the switch, or "arp -a" on the PC will let you know whether you have a MAC entry or not, and whether it is correct.  Since you can ping from the PC to the switch, I'd venture to say that's not the problem there, but PC to PC may be interesting.

Are you set in a private vlan?  (I don't think the XL-series switches can do that, but I don't have one!)  What about "switchport protected"?

Can you "show run" on the switch?

Scott

Join this discussion now: Login / Register
  • rockstar 1 posts since
    Jan 5, 2010
    2. Jan 7, 2010 5:31 AM (in response to clemouk)

For a layer 2 switch this is normal. You cannot ping a layer 3 address (ip address) from a layer 2 device. Even though the host is directly connected, the L2 switch only knows the mac address of the client. You have to ping from the router instead. If you need to check to see which mac address is connected to a switchport you can use the "show mac-address-table" command.

• mr_toad1 10 posts since
    Sep 16, 2008
    4. Jan 7, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to clemouk)

You wouldn't happen to be running McAfee are you?  I ran into the same issue and McAfee was blocking ICMP messages.

• Adam 2 posts since
    Jun 11, 2014
    6. Oct 10, 2014 2:28 AM (in response to clemouk)

Computer firewall can also block this. I've experienced this on Windows 7 lately.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)