DISCLAIMER : I wrote this post just to share my OWN experience on the CCNA industrial only; informations given here may/will not work for you , so used them at your own risk and MOST IMPORTANT I WILL NOT BREAK NDA - so don't ask me to do it
Last December (2015) i wrote a post here : https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/521340#521340 , few weeks after this post,i changed my mind
January 2016 [week02 ] OK ! let's do it !!!.
At that time :
the constraints were :
- The price of the training [Cisco 350 $ out of my own pocket]
- The price of Rockwell automation training around 2500-3000 $ USD [out of my own pocket]
- No official books , at least to my knowledge .
- I don't have access to IE3000 series switches (buying one cost around 1500 $ USD [new] in my country )
- I have little experience experience with AB products ( meaning : i don't work on daily basis)
that started BAD...
the pros :
- I already have years of experience in Automation technologies (programming ,design and networking with others vendors: SIEMENS, OMRON, SCHNEIDER )
- I could use my own switches to review the fundamental (c3750's)
- I am already CCNA and ... that's all .
So here my plan :
- No official training ( training courses are from my own pocket)
- There is no way , i will pay 3500 $ USD for both training
- Only self study + my experience from others vendors + AB and Cisco documentation
- 5 months of study and attempt the exam mid-June 2016
and here is my own approach :
1 ) Download the official blueprint
2 ) Go to Try a Free Evaluation for IMINS2 now
take notes of the information -just click on each domain and write down each sentences and look at the material available there.
3 ) - Build my own blueprint (make your own) :
- Read Converged Plantwide Ethernet (CPwE) Design and Implementation Guide
- Take notes + start searching references
- Include notes from official + demo + CPwE = final Blueprint
4 ) Made my own "Cisco references" (add yours)
- Cisco IE 3000 Switch Getting Started Guide
- Cisco IE 3000 Series Switch Hardware Installation Guide
- Cisco IE 3000 Switch Software Configuration Guide, Rel. 12.2(44)EX
- Cisco IE 3000 Switch Command Reference, 12.2(44)EX
- PROFINET IO enabled on Cisco Industrial Ethernet 3000 Switches
- Ethernet-to-the-Factory 1.2 Design and Implementation Guide ...
5 ) made my own "ODVA references" (add yours)
- PUB00035R0_Infrastructure_Guide ...
6 ) made my own "Rockwell automation references"(add yours)
- Stratix 5700 Industrial Managed Ethernet Switch - Rockwell Automation (enet-pp005_-en-e)
- Stratix Managed Switches User Manual - Rockwell Automation (1783-um007_-en-p)
- Stratix 5700 Ethernet Managed Switches (1783-um004_-en-p)
- Deploying 802.11 Wireless LAN Technology Within a Converged Plantwide Ethernet Architecture (enet-td006)
- Deploying the Resilient Ethernet Protocol in a Converged Plantwide Ethernet System (enet-td005)
- EtherNet/IP Media Planning and Installation Manual
- Fiber Optic Infrastructure Application Guide (enet-td003)
- Network Infrastructure for EtherNet/IP: Introduction and Considerations
- Segmentation Methods Within the Cell/Area Zone (enet-at004)
- Embedded Switch Technology Reference Architectures (enet-rm003_-en-p)
- Rockwell - Enet Design Considerations for Control Systems (2007)
- Rockwell - Fundamentals of Enet-IP Networking...
7 ) Ciscolive (add yours) :
- BRKCRT-1901 - CCNA Industrial Overview (2015 San Diego)
- BRKRST-2661 - Industrial Networking Concepts, Design, Resilience and Security (2015 Melbourne)
- BRKIND-1229 - Cisco Industrial Solutions and Best Practices for Manufacturing (2013 Orlando)
- BRKRST-2555 - Connected Industry Architectures and Technologies (2014 Milan) ...
8 ) Others "free" references" / website (add yours)
- Schneider - Principles of EtherNetIP Communication
- THE CIP NETWORKS LIBRARY (3 volumes : more than 1500 pages ! )
- YouTube : look for Allen Bradley , rslinx ,rslogix , contrologix ,...
- literature.rockwellautomation.com ...
- www.odva.org/Publication-Download ...
9 ) Rockwell automation Software's : they used to be "free download" but now you have to register to download them.
- RSLinx® Classic Getting Results Guide
- RSViewMEUsersManual1 (use google to find it)
- RSViewSEUsersGuide1 (use google to find it)...
10 ) The process i used (make your own)
- Read all this "references" + some others (not given here) + take a LOT of notes
- Watch videos from Cisco live
- Review my courses from others vendors (automation) + take a LOT of notes (matching the blueprint)
- Use whiteboard to draw the concept and learn ie3000 specifics commands ( if you don't have access to real gear )
- Lab on switches C3750 to review the switching fundamental (home lab)
Feedback on the exam [week 24] (NDA).
- It was harder than expected
- My exam was mostly scenario-based ,Drag and Drop,...
- The blueprint is accurate : it's a mix between R&S,wireless,security and AB products...
- I used most of the time (120/140 min)
Exam Passed (first try ! )
- I can't recommended Cisco and/or AB training and so i don't know if they are needed (self study)
- I have solid foundation in automation technologies ,so i just "match or re-match" this knowledge to AB products
- Based upon my result for the automation part (80-90%) ,i think my professional experience cover most of this domain
If i had taken the training :
- I would have score 100% for this domain - maybe !
- I would have learn details on AB product [i struggled 3 times in my exam on this part ](Aka :educated guess) and save points - Maybe !
- Were they important concepts from my point of vue , i don't think so .
- They are some parts where real world practice is needed (you can't guest , you must have see it in action)
Maybe the courses are about that : practice lab,access to IE3000 , AB products (in details) ,CIP protocol (in details ),... ??
- I truly enjoyed this 5 months preparation and the exam was for sure closed to the real world if you works or have worked on AB products; it is at least for me , one of the best CCNA experience i had - would like to see more like this ...
- If you have at least 6 months real life experience (i really mean real life) on AB products and a Cisco CCENT , you can start at the top of this post
If one day, Cisco and AB are willing to make a move to the CCNP LEVEL , well I 'am in .