Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Learning Center > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
3485 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2009 6:33 PM by cbutler RSS

Currently Being Moderated

virtual routers?

Nov 25, 2009 6:02 PM

BALAKUMAR 16 posts since
Dec 19, 2008

is there any technology available for creating virtual router like firewall contexts(virtual firewall)

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security, CCSI 6,952 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    1. Nov 25, 2009 7:35 PM (in response to BALAKUMAR)
    Re: virtual routers?

Are you looking for seperate administrative contexts, or something from a segregation of traffic standpoint.  VRF's would give you segregation of traffic capabilities (co-location, service providers, overlapping address ranges, etc).  Unfortunately, it doesn't allow you to break the administration into seperate contexts like multimode ASA.  Let me know if you need me to help you find some links to VRF.

• cbutler 3 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    2. Dec 1, 2009 6:33 PM (in response to BALAKUMAR)
    Re: virtual routers?

Not sure if you are looking for virtual routers on a router or if you are looking for same type of virtual contexts in a firewall platform.  I will answer based on the former.

You may not like the answer, but any JNPR M, T, or MX series routers can support upto 15 logical routers (virtual).  However, Cisco IOS (routers) does not support anything like what you are describing.  VRF's are it for Cisco routers.

The Nexus 7000 and the lastest versions of the SAN 9000 FC switches (NX-OS) does support a similar concept as JNPR called Virtual Device Contexts (VDC).  They can create completely isolated administrative domains.  There is a limitation of 4 contexts within a single Nexus switch.  The Nexus do support many firewall and security features.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/ps9512/White_Paper_Tech_Overview_Virtual_Device_Contexts.html

Chris

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)