8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2015 2:16 PM by L115A3 RSS

PCPT Book Questions

L115A3

Hi people!

I was trying the Pearson IT Certification Practice Test questions and I have doubts about a right answer.

Here is the question:

Which of the following are true about the format of Ethernet addresses?

A. Each manufacturer puts a unique OUI code into the first 2 bytes of the address.
      B. Each manufacturer puts a unique OUI code into the first 3 bytes of the address.
      C. Each manufacturer puts a unique OUI code into the first half of the address.
      D. The part of the address that holds this manufacturer’s code is called the OUI.
      E. The part of the address that holds this manufacturer’s code has no specific name.

F. The part of the address that holds this manufacturer’s code is called the MAC.

As you see I chose the wrong answer (F). The PCPT highlighted the correct ones.

But I think that the answer D is not a correct one. It's most likely the E because Wendell Odom says:

The manufacturer agrees to give all NICs (and other Ethernet products) a MAC address that begins with its

assigned 3-byte OUI. The manufacturer also assigns a unique value for the last 3 bytes, a number

that manufacturer has never used with that OUI.

So, what do you think?

Thank you all!