6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2015 10:13 PM by Kuldeep RSS

Is there any Benefits of manual restart network devices yearly?

Kuldeep

Is there any Benefits of manual restart network devices yearly.....

• 1. Re: Is there any Benefits of manual restart network devices yearly?
          Sinan Asig CCIE39239

This is a tricky question;

you may get a benefit of freshly started device, cleared stale memory usage etc... but meantime, your L3 devices has to build TCAM table again etc...

Also there is always a risk that your boot/kickstart image could be corrupted and may never boot again. so i think it is a personal choice.

Also Keep in mind, Cisco publishes new codes periodically, most of them are either feature enhancements or bug fixes. so you better keep your network devices up to speed. those downtimes for your devices are perfect opportunities to restart you hardware.

Hope that helps

• 2. Re: Is there any Benefits of manual restart network devices yearly?
            nicolasclerc

Hello there.

I have never read that Cisco recommands to reboot the device once a year.

Anyway, as said by Sinan, scheduling a reboot a year could be benefic in term of memory usage and to upgrade the device.

I have personnaly seen cisco routers up for more than 10 years and they were working fine. Of course they are not up to date in term of IOS but anyway there is no support for more than 10 years on IOS and some people say that if it works you better no change it.

Have a good day.

• 3. Re: Is there any Benefits of manual restart network devices yearly?
              Kevin Santillan

Sinan mentioned reasonable points. Personally, I'd stick with the saying: "If it isn't broke, then don't fix it", similar to what nicolas mentioned. Enterprise grade network devices are designed to be highly available so I wouldn't reload if there isn't a need to.

I remember when one of our clients reloaded one of their branch routers (an old 2811), perhaps for his own "maintenance purposes", and afterwards it just wouldn't boot up. To cut the story short, it had to be replaced. He did the reload during off-hours but they needed to wait until the replacement was delivered that caused about two hours of down time for that branch. During our meeting, he couldn't explain to their CTO why he would reboot a perfectly working router.

• 4. Re: Is there any Benefits of manual restart network devices yearly?
                Martin

I second "If it isn't broke, then don't fix it"  but I can see how rebooting device once per year has its value.  in real-world environment, it is likely u will have some issue that force u to reboot device.

• 5. Re: Is there any Benefits of manual restart network devices yearly?
                  Kuldeep

Thanks a lot for your valuable response....

Please correct me if I am wrong on below points……

Manual restart network devices yearly can we call as a part of preventative maintenance?

And May be useful for below reason…….

1. Major outage
                  2. Major hardware failure
                  3. Prevent major business interruptions before they arise.
                  4. Prevent network devices from overheating and keep it working properly.
                  5. Improve reliability and lifespan of equipment.
                  6. Avoid any unplanned maintenance activity.
                  7. It is more beneficial for engineers that working on a scheduled basis instead of a crash basis to repair breakdowns.
                  • 6. Re: Is there any Benefits of manual restart network devices yearly?
                    Kuldeep

Thanks Kevin...

My thinking on this issue is...If You or your team would have been perform the manual restart once in year or whenever gets a downtime then it might be possible to avoid such unplanned breakdowns.......