Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Learning Center > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
20480 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2009 3:02 AM by Yanter RSS

Currently Being Moderated

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface

Sep 24, 2009 2:34 AM

Yanter 7 posts since
Sep 24, 2009

Hi everybody,

Am facing a very strange problem with TWO  Cisco switches "C3560" running IOS Version 12.2(40)SE.

These two switches are connected together with UTP GIG link over UTP GBIC, with cat5e cross cable, here is the log error i got:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 24 10:34:13 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:34:15 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:34:33 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:34:34 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:34:37 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:34:39 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:34:55 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:34:56 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:34:58 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:35:00 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:35:16 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:35:17 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:35:19 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:35:21 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:35:38 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:35:39 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:35:42 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is the configuration of the Ports:

interface GigabitEthernet0/28

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

load-interval 30

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape  10  0  0  0

queue-set 2

priority-queue out

mls qos trust cos

auto qos voip trust

Any one who can support me with this?? taking in your considuration the following:

- Replacing the GBICs Done.
- Replacing the UTP cable Done.
- Replacing one of the switches Done.
- Changing the MDIX settings.

none of the above did solve the problem, is there any smart idea that i can do it to understand the problem or solve it??!!! i really gave up

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,396 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    1. Sep 24, 2009 5:26 AM (in response to Yanter)
    Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface

What's the configuration on the other side?

What types of switches/software are we talking about here?

Scott

Oct 7, 2008
    3. Oct 1, 2009 8:30 AM (in response to Yanter)

That's very strange then.  No problems with the IOS versions there.

Perhaps flakey ASIC?  Try hard-coding the speed/duplex.  That will turn off auto-mdix, so you will need to be sure you have a crossover cable installed (one that's set up right).

Give it a whirl.

Scott

Oct 7, 2008
    5. Oct 4, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to Yanter)

Your Spanning-Tree looks fine.  It appears that port 26 is the main trunk between the two?

Your show commands above are for port 25 and port 28.  Until the port stays up though, it can't well participate in spanning tree. 

Do a "show run | include spanning" and see if you have any global default commands that may be affecting the behavior here.

If so, I would have expected to see a filter or loopguard message instead of just the interface up/down messages.

Are these SFP ports, or TX-based 10/100/1000 ones?  If SFP, have you actually tried different SFPs just for giggles?

Scott

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

Hi Yanter

Try putting the cross over between two SFP on the same switch. This should produces lots of complaints but it will only take a second.

Make sure it a gigabit cross over cable not just a cross over cable.

Remove one SFP and put it in the other switch and see what happens.

Also check they are genuine Cisco SFP

Regards Conwyn

• Darwin R CCNA/CCDA 580 posts since
    Jun 22, 2009
    7. Oct 4, 2009 2:03 PM (in response to Conwyn)

Hello Conwyn,

I noticed that Yanter is using cat5e which adequate for gig transmission. I prefer fiber over cat5 for x/up lins in conjuction with gbics. Gbics are sensitive and may malfunction after a power surge. I'm also looking at the addition electicity introduced by using coppy media. Not to say that gbics will not malfunction with fiber, but I do believe it's less likely...just my experiences. One of my golden rules is that gbics should match completely. I've seen situations with mismatched gbics that cause erratic behavior (if working at all). What I mean is same general makeup, but different make/model...etc. What are your thoughts.

Yanter,

Did the port flapping occur all of a sudden? In this particular case, I don't see any mention of possible changes (hardware/config, software upgrade, power cyclem...etc). Just curious. What are some of the things you've done to troubleshoot the issue?

Darwin

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)