12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2014 9:29 AM by mohamed shalaby RSS

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface

Yanter

Hi everybody,

Am facing a very strange problem with TWO  Cisco switches "C3560" running IOS Version 12.2(40)SE.

These two switches are connected together with UTP GIG link over UTP GBIC, with cat5e cross cable, here is the log error i got:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 24 10:34:13 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:34:15 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:34:33 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:34:34 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:34:37 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:34:39 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:34:55 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:34:56 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:34:58 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:35:00 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:35:16 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:35:17 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:35:19 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:35:21 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

Sep 24 10:35:38 GMT+3: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:35:39 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to down

Sep 24 10:35:42 GMT+3: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/28, changed state to up

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is the configuration of the Ports:

interface GigabitEthernet0/28

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

load-interval 30

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape  10  0  0  0

queue-set 2

priority-queue out

mls qos trust cos

auto qos voip trust

Any one who can support me with this?? taking in your considuration the following:

- Replacing the GBICs Done.
      - Replacing the UTP cable Done.
      - Replacing one of the switches Done.
      - Changing the MDIX settings.

none of the above did solve the problem, is there any smart idea that i can do it to understand the problem or solve it??!!! i really gave up

• 1. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
          Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE

What's the configuration on the other side?

What types of switches/software are we talking about here?

Scott

• 2. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
            Yanter

Hi Scott,

sorry for late reply i was engaged outside the office, both switches are Cisco catalyst "C3560-IPSERVICES-M", lets name them Switch A and B.

IOS release:

------------------

Switch A loaded with IOS "Version 12.2(35)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)"

Switch B loaded with IOS "Version 12.2(40)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)"

============================================================================

Port Config:

-----------------

[Switch A]:

interface GigabitEthernet0/25
            description Trunk to Switch B
            switchport mode trunk
            load-interval 30
            queue-set 2
            mls qos trust cos
            auto qos voip trust

[Switch B]:

interface GigabitEthernet0/28
            description Trunk to Switch A
            switchport mode trunk
            load-interval 30
            shutdown
            queue-set 2
            priority-queue out
            mls qos trust cos
            auto qos voip trust

============================================================================

Please let me know what else you need in order to understand this issue, i tried multiple things but not usefule.

Thanks,
            Yasser

• 3. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface

That's very strange then.  No problems with the IOS versions there.

Perhaps flakey ASIC?  Try hard-coding the speed/duplex.  That will turn off auto-mdix, so you will need to be sure you have a crossover cable installed (one that's set up right).

Give it a whirl.

Scott

• 4. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
                Yanter

HI Scott,

Actually i tried before the combination of the Duplex and no use , am using also a cross-x cable. do you think it could be from the spaning tree??!!

One more thing I remembred, long time back we had the same issue and when i contaced cisco TAC they noticed that one of the GBICs was not standard, thus they adviced me to use another one with 11 digits serial number. after this it works fine for few months, untill the customer had to restart the switches due to UPS installation.

Please take this as a challenge as it is really strange, and if you need more information please let me know, i will attache a file containes few information about the Spanning tree scenario, not sure if it can cause the problem!!!

• 5. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface

Your Spanning-Tree looks fine.  It appears that port 26 is the main trunk between the two?

Your show commands above are for port 25 and port 28.  Until the port stays up though, it can't well participate in spanning tree. 

Do a "show run | include spanning" and see if you have any global default commands that may be affecting the behavior here.

If so, I would have expected to see a filter or loopguard message instead of just the interface up/down messages.

Are these SFP ports, or TX-based 10/100/1000 ones?  If SFP, have you actually tried different SFPs just for giggles?

Scott

• 6. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
                    Conwyn

Hi Yanter

Try putting the cross over between two SFP on the same switch. This should produces lots of complaints but it will only take a second.

Make sure it a gigabit cross over cable not just a cross over cable.

Remove one SFP and put it in the other switch and see what happens.

Also check they are genuine Cisco SFP

Regards Conwyn

• 7. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
                      Darwin R CCNA/CCDA

Hello Conwyn,

I noticed that Yanter is using cat5e which adequate for gig transmission. I prefer fiber over cat5 for x/up lins in conjuction with gbics. Gbics are sensitive and may malfunction after a power surge. I'm also looking at the addition electicity introduced by using coppy media. Not to say that gbics will not malfunction with fiber, but I do believe it's less likely...just my experiences. One of my golden rules is that gbics should match completely. I've seen situations with mismatched gbics that cause erratic behavior (if working at all). What I mean is same general makeup, but different make/model...etc. What are your thoughts.

Yanter,

Did the port flapping occur all of a sudden? In this particular case, I don't see any mention of possible changes (hardware/config, software upgrade, power cyclem...etc). Just curious. What are some of the things you've done to troubleshoot the issue?

Darwin

• 8. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
                        Yanter

Hi Scott,

Sorry i forgot to inform that i changed the port from 26 to 28 just to make sure that i don't have any physical error at port 26.s port 26 and 28 are exactly the same.

I will do the "show run | spanning" command, but what do you mean that there are global settings that might affect?!! Like what?

Regarding the transmitters, they are TX based GBICs, loong time back i tried the Fiber SFP connectors and it helped some but still i got the same issue but not that much flapping .

• 9. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
                          Yanter

Hi Conwyn,

What do you mean by connecting the swith to itself ?? whatshould i expect from this?!!

How can i make sure that this Cross cable is One GiG, it always show at the port status One Gig port, so would you mind clear this to me?? do you mean i have to cheack the Cable physicaly if it is support Gig speed?

Again dear what shall i expect if i replace the GBICs from switch to another, do you think this will solve the problem?? what is the technical idea behind?

To be honed i don't know how to check if they are genuine Cisco SFP or not, but cisco tac they advised me to use an 11 digit serial number SFPs they said this should be a genuine Cisco SFP, if so then Yes they are cisco genuine.

• 10. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
                            Yanter

Hi Darwin,

I will try to list down all of the steps i tried before:

- Duplex combinations.

- Changing the UTP cable.

- Replacing the Cat5e UTP into Cat6.

- Fixing the Ports speed.

- Changing the GBICS.

- Chaging One switch.

- Replacing the TX-Based GBICs [at this link only] to multimode fiber SFP.

Is there anything else that i can do? actually i can't go and just replace the secnd switch as looks like no use and not granteed.

• 11. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
                              Yanter

Sorry Darwin,

but i forgot to say that the port flapping suddenly happened, and for example if i removed the Uplink cable and patch it back, the link can be stable for 10 minutes or 1 hour or few hours, and even can servive for one complete day, but after that it happenes again!!

• 12. Re: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
                                mohamed shalaby

Hi Yanter

i knew its to late to reply but it may help someone

i had that problem befor i was because of the type of the cable which connecting the router with the server that acting a web server ( %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/1, changed state to down) i choose a straight cable and after i changed it to cross-over cable it worked fine