5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2014 12:23 PM by Stephen RSS

GNS3 and VM question....

Stephen

I've been having issues getting the IOU device to connect to another device. IOU device to IOU device works fine. I googled it and found this possible solution. I just need someone to hopefully show me how to implement it. First of all, here's the error message I get when I try to connect a router, switch etc. to an IOU device:

"Server error [-3200] from 192.168.56.101:8000: IOU1: Could not create an UDP connection to 192.168.0.2:10001: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable". 192.168.56.101:8000 is the IP address of my virtual machine, and 192.168.0.2:10001 is my machine running Windows 7. The possible solution to the problem is this which I found on the internet:"Most likely your VM cannot communicate with the local server IP address. A solution can be to set the host binding to an address in the same subnet, for instance: 192.168.56.1 if your VM has 192.168.56.101". I understand what he is saying. I just need to know how to implement the solution. BTW, I'm using virtual box to run GNS3 IOU VM operating system Debian 32bit. My host machine is running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. Thanks

• 1. Re: GNS3 and VM question....
          daveba123

Do you have any routing protocols or static route entries?  It sounds like your router doesn't know how to get to the subnet your Windows PC is using and vice-versa.  If you show me a topology diagram of your network I should be able to help more specifically.

• 2. Re: GNS3 and VM question....
            Stephen

My topology is fairly simple: c7200 router connected to an IOU switch connected to another c7200 router. I have a static route on the VM, which is running the IOU, to my machine. When I did that, I  was able to connect to the IOU from the IOS device. However, the devices cannot ping eachother. I was wondering how to set the host binding  to an address in the same subnet.For instance,192.168.56.1 if your VM has an IP address 192.168.56.101. thanks

• 3. Re: GNS3 and VM question....
              daveba123

So the router is trying to connect to another router through a switch that both routers are connected to?  If that's the case, both router interfaces need to be on the same subnet as the routers are connected to each other through a LAN. 

Can you explain the rest of the topology and where the VM computer/physical computers are connected to the network? What IPs are assigned to which interfaces on the routers?   

• 4. Re: GNS3 and VM question....
                Stephen

IN GNS3, I can connect c7200 router to c7200 router and they ping eachother. The interfaces on both routers are in the same subnet. I put both in the 192.168.100.0/24 so I could ping between the 2. I then put a generic GNS3 ethernet switch between the 2 routers, and they will still ping eachother. However, when I put the IOU switch between the 2 routers, they won't even connect with the IOU switch, until I put a static route on the VM, which contains the IOU(IP 192.168.56.101).The static route I put on the VM is: ip route add 192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.56.1. My computer is on the 129.168.0.0 network. I even put a virtual interface on the switch, interface vlan1, and I still couldn't ping the switch or the routers. I can get a connection between the IOU switch and routers only after adding the static route on the VM. But, I cannot ping between the routers or the routers and the switch. I think it has something to do with host binding as I mentioned in my original post. I just dont know how to implement it.

• 5. Re: GNS3 and VM question....
                  Stephen

thanks for the all the replies. I found the solution on another forum. The answer is posted below if anyone else has the same problem:

Under Edit>Preferences>GNS3 Server>Local Server.

The host binding must be in the network of the GNS3 IOU VM in order for you to connect an L3 IOS image with an L2/L3 IOU image.