5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 12:40 AM by Mrigendra RSS

Difference Between Root ID & Bridge ID

Muhammad Mataal Khan

When I use a command Show spanning tree it shows me different Vlans. How do I know that which Bridge ID or Root ID belongs to switch A or B or C

• 1. Re: Difference Between Root ID & Bridge ID
          Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security

From a spanning-tree perspective, each switch knows its own Bridge ID and the Bridge ID  of the Root (Root ID). So you would need to execute the command from all 3 switches and examine the output of Bridge ID on each.

• 2. Re: Difference Between Root ID & Bridge ID
            Mrigendra

Hi,

When you configure STP, then by default Cisco IOS runs PVST+. That means your switch will run the STP instance for each VLANs. Now let say you have 3  switches A, B & C..and you have three vlans 10, 20 & 30 configured in each switch.

Taking your first Que:

All your 3 switches will run the STP instance for each VLAN, and that is the reason why you see different VLANS in the output.

Second Que:

Each vlan will have a Root switch/Bridge which will be common for individual STP instance running in your all three switches.

What i mean by the above statement is: If let say Switch-A is a root bridge for Vlan-10 then Sw-B & Sw-C will see this switch as root switch for Vlan-10 only.

And the same will be applied for other VLANs

the question remains the same:

How do I know that which Bridge ID or Root ID belongs to switch A or B or C

Do the following step:

1> Run the command:

Switch#show spanning-tree

In the output you will see two section. first one is Root ID and second one is Bridge ID...output will be like this...

VLAN0001 <This is STP instance for VLAN-1>

Spanning tree enabled protocol ieee

Root ID   Priority    32769  <This is the information about the Root Switch for VLAN-1, you will have this same common view in all the switches for Root Bridge>

Address     0001.43A7.7310

This bridge is the root

Hello Time  2 sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec

Bridge ID  Priority    32769  (priority 32768 sys-id-ext 1)  <This is the information about the Local Switch "Same switch where i executed this command", and it will be different for different switches for different VLANs>

Address     0001.43A7.7310

Hello Time  2 sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec

Aging Time  20

Hope you know the selection method for Root Switch....So by that hope i cleared your doubts

Please let us know if you need more explanation on this.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Difference Between Root ID & Bridge ID
              Jonathan

You can always use the command show spanning-tree vlan <vlan-number>

If it says "This bridge is the root" then you can come to the conclusion that is the bridge. If it states that it is connected to a port ex Fe0/3 then if you have cdp enabled then you can type show cdp neighbors to verify which switch matches that port to determine the root bridge.

• 4. Re: Difference Between Root ID & Bridge ID
                Muhammad Mataal Khan

Thanks to all of you

• 5. Re: Difference Between Root ID & Bridge ID
                  Mrigendra

You are welcome Muhammad!

Glad we were able to help you 

Thanks!