9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2014 4:39 PM by rboldy RSS

Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports

Manjunath Patil

what is difference between Lan/wan ports..

what what is

dddadkjkksswhat i s

sssssjsss

• 1. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
          Gus

Hi Manjunath Patil,

Let me explain this with an example to you:  we can classify network technologies as belonging to one of two basic groups. Local area network (LAN) technologies connect many devices that are relatively close to each other, usually in the same building. The library terminals that display book information would connect over a local area etwork.

Wide area network (WAN) technologies connect a smaller number of devices that can be many kilometers apart. For example, if two libraries at the opposite ends of a city wanted to share their book catalog information, they would most likely make use of a wide area network technology, which could be a dedicated leased line from the local telephone company, intended solely to carry their data.

Check the following illustration:

LAN-WAN-LAN1.jpg

I hope this information is helpful for you. 

Regards,

Gus

• 2. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
            Gus

Manjunath Patil,

Now related to ports the WAN port uplinks to your network, and the LAN port serves wired clients. Most network devices nowadays have Ethernet ports, LANports and a WAN ports. Generally speaking, the WAN port connects to the Internet, and the LAN port accommodates wired Ethernet computers.

Please check the following illustration:

v2820vs_schematic_voip_isdn.jpg

I hope this information is helpful for you. 

Regards,

Gus

• 3. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
              iesam

Hi Manjunath Patil,

you can get the idea of ports as WAN-ports what service provider attached to,then you have connection to Internet, and LAN-ports is yours to attach your devices to be connected to the Internet.

so simple 

• 4. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
                Sachin

Hi Manjunath,

Gus has summarised it very well.

However, it could be possible you have come across some text or any network related litreature and that could have confuse you.

You could add such sources here and in no time you will get answers.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
                  Gowthamraj F

Hi Manjunath Patil

The Gus explain superly about Lan and Wan

simply tell you means Lan port we can used for our local area network for example we can use in our ogranzation like switch to pc like that

Wan port can used for wide area network for example to our ogranization to ISp and Router to ROuter like that

• 6. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
                    Conwyn

Hi Manjunath

It used to be LAN (fast) was inside the building installed by you and WAN (slow) was provided by the telephone company. So LAN is cheap and WAN is expensive. Today the picture is less clear you can rent fibre optic cables with a distance of 40 Km and run 10Gbits between your sites. The only real LAN technology nowadays is Ethernet  but there are still a range of WAN technologies around the world. There was an attempted to merge the two with ATM but it was never popular.

• 7. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
                      rboldy

Well it's always been the same really... I mean WAN and LAN as terms have not changed, just the technologies used for them.

• 8. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
                        Conwyn

Hi Rboldy

I think the WAN responsibility has change. Telco used to provide lines and the organisation provided the L2 but know telco like to offer a service so they can make extra money.

Regards Conwyn

• 9. Re: Difference between LAN  Ports and WAN Ports
                          rboldy

I agree. Obviously it's nice to make money but I think also it's a case of changing technology. Ethernet is the WAN technology of choice now and layer2 services are available directly over MPLS. As far as what a LAN port is and what a WAN port is they are physically and technically the same now - both are generally RJ45 ports not DB9-Serial for the WAN for example.

This also is what causes confusion when talking about Layer-3 switches. Back in the day a switch was a layer 2 device that had Ethernet or Token-Ring ports on it. When cisco first added a serial interface and some layer-3 capabilities (SVI) and routed-port, all of a sudden it had a WAN port so people started calling it a layer3 switch. Generally now you're only going to see ports labelled WAN and LAN on very small home use routers where the ports have been fixed like this in order to code features ( DHCP, NAT etc) to them and reduce cost. Your standard enterprise cisco device isn't limitied in this way so the port definition of WAN and LAN are moot - the port is a WAN or LAN port based on how the topology has been designed by the engineer.