Skip navigation
Login   |   Register
Cisco Learning Home > CCIE Voice Study Group > Discussions
This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts)
1646 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2013 6:40 PM by Souley RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade CUCM 7.x to 9.x

Dec 11, 2013 11:32 AM

Souley 100 posts since
Apr 26, 2011

Hello Guys,

we are planning to upgrade our cucm 7.x to 9.x we purchased a new UCS server and planning to install the new cucm 9.x on it. we want to minimize downtime so we will let the 7.x running and install the new code on the new server then bring the new one into production by unplugging the cable from the old server and connect them to the new server we will be using the same ip addresses for the Pub and the Sub. Here is the thing we want to move all the configuration from the old cucm 7.x to 9.x .The config is too big to start from scratch i thought about doing a backup from 7.x using disaster recovery and do a restore from backup using 9.x but after reading a cisco document you can only do a restore from backup using same version. i don't know if i am reading it right.

Can someone please explain what is the best option in this type of scenario?

Thanks,

SD

• Michael Miller 18 posts since
    Feb 25, 2009
    1. Dec 11, 2013 11:37 AM (in response to Souley)
    Re: Upgrade CUCM 7.x to 9.x

Could you not install 7.x on the new server, restore the data, and perform the upgrade?

If you still feel that you need a completely clean install, you could then backup the 9.x data and install 9.x out of the box.

Join this discussion now: Login / Register
  • Amit K. Sharma 8 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    2. Dec 11, 2013 11:42 AM (in response to Souley)
  • Mark Cooperider 8 posts since
    Oct 22, 2008
    3. Dec 11, 2013 11:48 AM (in response to Souley)

Cisco has an upgrade doc available, I think they call it a "jump upgrade".

Anway, in a nutshell...

1) Build the 7.x server in UCS (I think it needs to be 7.1(5) to be supported) identical to your production box

2) Restore your 7.x server to the UCS

3) upgrade the 7.x to 9.x on the UCS

4) do a full backup of the 9.x server

5) do a clean rebuild of the 9.x server and restore from backup. (this is to get the partitions correct)

Cisco wants you do build your entire environment in the lab and upgrade ALL of you subs as well as the pubs to keep all of your special hold music and what not.  Anyway, start here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/9_1_2/CUCM_BK_C9FFFCD0_00_cucm-release-notes-912_chapter_01.html

• Michael Miller 18 posts since
    Feb 25, 2009
    6. Dec 11, 2013 11:51 AM (in response to Souley)

You can't import the configuration from 7.x into 9.x.

The correct procedure is to install 7.x on the new server, restore the backup from your active cluster, and upgrade to 9.x.

• Mark Cooperider 8 posts since
    Oct 22, 2008
    7. Dec 11, 2013 11:56 AM (in response to Michael Miller)

If you want to "Import" the configuration:

1) build the 7.x server in vmware, same name and what not

2) restore your production 7.x server to the lab

3) upgrade the labe 7.x to 9.x

4) dump the configuration using BAT

5) make whatever changes you want to the CSV files

6) Import the the modified csv files to the 9.x server

I use this method to clean up and standardize configurations. (At least I have in 8.6 and earlier, just getting my first round of upgrades to 9)

• Leonard Bellefeuille 2 posts since
    Aug 13, 2009
    8. Dec 11, 2013 12:06 PM (in response to Souley)

Here is how I would do it. I recently migrated an 8.51 cluster from MCS to UCS. My original version was 8.51, so make sure you can go from 7x to 9.12 directly.

1. Use bare bones 7.x server on the UCS chassis, use the 9.12 ova file to get the correct resources reserved. Build it on a segmented network. (So you do not have duplicate ip problems.)

2. Use the show web-security command on the 7.x pub to get the correct infomation to use when recreating the 7.x server.

example -

admin:show web-security

Issuer Name: C=US, ST=MN, L=St. Paul, O=Organization, OU=Unit, CN=EPPUB.xxx.xxx-dns.com

If you use the correct input variables your license mac will remain the same and you might not have to relicense the server.

3. You will need an NTP server and and you might need a DNS Server that is reachable from the segmented network. These will need to be the same IP addresses that the original are pointing to.   In my situation I spoofed the DNS server with a small microsoft DNS server so I could get thu the install. I don't think you need DNS for CUCM but I am pretty sure it needs to be there when recreating the CUC server.

4. Recreate the 7.x server on the UCS chassis. You must use the same ntp server ip addresses and DNS addresses.

5. Restore a backup from the original server onto the new UCS 7.x server.

6. Then run your upgrade to 9.12.

7. During your change window shutdown the exisitng server then add final networking section to the UCS trunk to allow the new server to reach the network.

8. Don't forget your phones are going to want to upgrade firmware. You may want to upgrade the firmware before you do th eupgrade, just keep that in mind. If you have a lot of phones it can create a lot of traffic on your WAN links.

• Jason Pennell 7 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    9. Dec 11, 2013 1:27 PM (in response to Souley)

Hello Souley,

The "jump upgrade" process mentioned by other users is time consuming but will allow you to accomplish your goal of being able to unplug the old server and plug in the new server during the maintenance/cutover window.  I recently did this for a customer that was on version 6.1(2).  I only installed the CUCM Pub server on the new machine and restored from backup.  Once I was on my target version of 9.1(2) then I installed the Subs.

William Bell has a nice write up about this as well that I recommend you check out.

http://www.ucguerrilla.com/2013/08/cucm-912-and-jump-upgrade.html

I hope this helps.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)