1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2014 5:50 AM by Austin Power RSS

CCNP Switch Pass/ Cisco Career Experience

Elle - CCNA R&S

Hello,

I am soooo happy that I passed the CCNP Switch exam! Thank you to all those who answered questions that I posted on this study journey!

As someone who came upon my Cisco path with little to no computer experience, I want to share a little about the things that I have encountered so far to encourage individuals that are at the beginning of their testing and career. I definitely needed the inspiration and I am always looking for more!

I am going to keep it as short as I can and straight to the point by addressing these topics in separate posts. This one is just about my personal study plan for certs. Next post will be about my Cisco career experience (https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/351160#351160).

Please note, I have often borrowed from the study plans of others so chew up the meat and spit out the bones.

Individual Snapshot:

CompTIA A+

CCNET - ICND1 v1

CCNA - ICND2 v1

CCNP Switch

Network Engineer for SP

MY PERSONAL Exam Prep Plan:

1. Overstudy

2. LAY A FOUNDATION

1. Analyze the Official Cisco Exam topics from Cisco’s website

2. Create a written study plan (i.e. how many chapters per day, how many days, make a list of the major technologies-assign a date to each, log the dates when they are studied)

3. Set a goal date to attempt the exam

4. Determine your strong motivations (i.e. new house, kids, whatever gets you hyped)

5. Tell someone who will challenge & ENCOURAGE you about your goal

6. Find someone on a similar path or higher to keep in touch with (Cisco LN helped me a lot)

3. DO THE DANG THING - GO HARD!

1. Read Cisco Official Cert. Guide COMPLETELY & take notes

2. While in reading process:

1. Stop to watch videos that clarify any reading topics that are difficult to comprehend

2. Read other materials (articles, other Ciscopress versions on topic, blogs) to clarify technologies that you don’t get.

3. Read up one level - if you are testing for CCNA review a little CCNP material

4. Perform labs on the major core technologies to reinforce what you read and take the newly gained knowledge to a practical level of understanding

3. Use some form of a lab manual to practice all technologies several times

4. OVERCOME CHALLENGES TO YOUR PATH

1. REVISIT YOUR MOTIVATION, PEOPLE WHO ENCOURAGE YOU (CLN,ONLINE, ETC.)

5. IDENTIFY KNOWLEDGE GAPS

1. Practice tests from vendor of choice, to pinpoint where learning gaps are

2. Create flashcards to reinforce the things you don’t understand yet

3. Try to configure technologies w/o the directions

6. SET A DATE

1. When practice tests are passed several times in a 93%+ range

2. When a thought or visual of a certain technology makes you a little nauseous

3. Set the date for a week later

4. Calm your nerves and pass

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck and God bless!

1 2 Previous Next