Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNA) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
5003 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 7:22 AM by Nicolas MICHEL RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Flash: config.text

Jun 22, 2009 2:16 AM

Nicolas MICHEL 164 posts since
Jul 3, 2008

Hello guys !

I passed my CCNA last january and actually studying for my BCMSN but I found something today and could't understand it . So I decided to ask here if some you guys could help.

A switch and a router load their startup-config from their NVRAM right ?

So on my switch when i do show flash: I can see a config.text file

Then I do a more flash: config.text i can see my startup-config ... And when I delete, my startup-config , the config.text disappear ... So What's the deal ?

Does my switch loads the startup from the NVRAM of from the FLASH ? Does the flash acts only like a backup of the nvram startup config file ?

I don't get that point .....

Anyway here is my real problem , Swtiches won't allow me to change the config-register via the global command . So how I can i ask the switch to get an IP from a DHCP server and how can I download my startup from a TFTP when it boots    (I know it's a silly method but I have to do it )

Many thanks for the help guys

BTW if someone is interested : I did a HSRP Summary here

http://winol.free.fr/?p=134

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security, CCSI 6,972 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 22, 2009 2:47 AM (in response to Nicolas MICHEL)
    Re: Flash: config.text

I think the switch actually stores the configuration in flash:config.text.  That is actually how you go through the password recovery process.  As for your task, I'm not sure you can do that without any configuration.  One way would probably be to have "boot config-file tftp://<ipaddress>/filename in the configuration file initially.

The other option (and the one it sounds like you are looking for) is that I am pretty sure that most of the Cisco switches will do DHCP on VLAN 1 out of the box.  So if that is the case, you may be able to use the "bootfile" option along with option "150" in the dhcp server to signal to the switch which config file to use.  Even without the bootfile option, the switch may boot up and request common filenames like "network-config" and "cisconet.cfg". Just deliver the tftp server address to it via DHCP, delete the configuration, reboot and see if it tries to talk to the tftp server.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)