Skip navigation
Login   |   Register
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts)
9983 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2009 9:28 PM by Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Which is the best CCIE to pursue

Jun 14, 2009 9:47 AM

Amit Divekar 60 posts since
Sep 17, 2008

Hello All,

This is just out of curiousity that i just wish to know that which is the BEST CCIE track to persue.

I know it is really dufficult to obtain a ccie cert but which track is considered the best & the most highest paid of them all.

Where does the CCIE Voice fit in,request you to kindly clear the doubt

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/certified_ccies/worldwide.html.(last updated 05/18/2009)

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,428 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    1. Jun 14, 2009 10:24 AM (in response to Amit Divekar)
    Re: Which is the best CCIE to pursue

Is money the sole motivation for passing?  I've heard that CCIE Storage folks can make well over $200K at some financial institutions in the northeast.

But like everything, it depends on where you are at, how good you are, what other experience(s) you bring to the table and many other factors.  A CCIE does not an expert make. 

CCIE Voice covers voice technologies.  In some parts of the world this expertise is in high demand.  In other parts, they could care less.

The best is whatever one you want to do that brings you a rewarding career!

HTH,

Scott

Join this discussion now: Login / Register
  • Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security 7,570 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    2. Jun 14, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to Amit Divekar)

I have yet to attain the status, but I will have to say getting there is such a demanding journey.  I would base my decision on what I enjoyed and what I was good at.  If that happens to be Storage, you would definitely be in a niche.  I have more exposure to the items on the Security Blueprint and I enjoy that aspect, so that is the route I am taking.  Voice, not so much interest.  Storage is just a totally different animal IMHO.  If I ever get through this, I may re-cert by taking the R&S written before my two year mark and follow through with that lab.

• Jared 5,547 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008
    3. Jun 14, 2009 10:39 AM (in response to Amit Divekar)

I would think R&S would be the best to pursue just because it is the foundataion that all other technologies build off of.

Oct 7, 2008
    4. Jun 14, 2009 10:52 AM (in response to Jared)

Don't forget about the CCDE!   The world revolves around solid designs!

Scott

Oct 7, 2008
    6. Jun 14, 2009 12:19 PM (in response to Amit Divekar)

I'm not sure I'll be helpful about the market in India, but I would think they need someone with expertise in unified communcations as much as any place else.    Talk to the local Cisco SE's there to see the market need?

As for Cisco TAC - getting a job there will bring you in to a variety of different technologies and problem-solving skills!  You can increase your exposure to different networks and different network problems by working there!  The opportunities I'm sure are related directly to how much skill and motivation you have!  Many of the TAC centers are sub-contract, so be sure to ask about things like future opportunities, career ladders, etc. BEFORE you sign on thinking one thing and discovering another!

Most people have the R&S CCIE because everything (no matter what technology) needs a reliable infrastructure to work.  The basics are always important.  Most people who have other certs also have R&S.  There are still plenty of people with single CCIE's NOT in R&S, but it seems that most are complementary skills.  Voice is the one growing the most in non-R&S certifications.

HTH,

Scott

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security 7,570 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008

Very true about the CCDE.  Also there are rumors of another high end cert coming down the pike.  I guess we will see.

Oct 7, 2008

Ahhhh....   The infamous 'Architect' role.  Being that Networkers is in just a few weeks, I'd suspect we'll hear more concrete stuff there. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)