Skip navigation
Login   |   Register
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNP) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered
7736 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2009 5:06 PM by Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE RSS

Currently Being Moderated

error disabled port status

Jun 1, 2009 9:39 AM

Rickey 1,026 posts since
Jul 3, 2008

Quick question, I'm just curious if there is a way to disable the port status 'error disabled' on a port.  For instance, is there a way to make it to where the ports can't go into that status.  That would be cool, but I don't think you can disable a port feature like that on the 3500 series.  Let me know, thanks!

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 1, 2009 10:36 AM (in response to Rickey)
    Re: error disabled port status

Why would you want to do that?  That is your signal that something is wrong with either your cable, the device on the other end, or your switch.  That's something that needs to be investigated!

Join this discussion now: Login / Register
  • Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,429 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    2. Jun 1, 2009 10:48 AM (in response to Rickey)

I suppose it depends on the REASON it went to err-disable.  But I'd agree with the "why would you want to?" question raised already. 

You can use "errdisable recovery" commands to have your switch automatically re-enable a port after 'x' number of seconds, but that doesn't avoid things entirely.

So let's go back to "what are you really trying to accomplish?"

Scott

4. Jun 1, 2009 11:25 AM (in response to Rickey)

Hi!

I work in the IT field as a network administrator for a hospital so I am in the medical industry as well.  I have a couple of questions.

1)  Why do your "not so smart" medical staff have access to your physical infrastructure.  Can you say security risk?

2) With regards to question number one, Wouldn't that be a HIPAA violation?

I would look into getting your infrastructure secured so that medical staff do not have access to your switches.

Erick

5. Jun 1, 2009 11:41 AM (in response to Rickey)

Rickey, second sentance in that post explained it all.   Any specific reason why this switch is accessible to end users?

7. Jun 1, 2009 12:06 PM (in response to Rickey)

Hi!

Does the medical equipment have wireless capability or can they use a wall jack to connect to the network?  I am not familiar with your layout or anything, but even still, that sounds very insecure and deserves some consideration to alternate solutions.

Erick

9. Jun 1, 2009 1:20 PM (in response to Rickey)

It's not just "Not for Profit" hospitals that don't spend money. <cough cough>

10. Jun 1, 2009 2:11 PM (in response to Rickey)

Check this link out: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml

You can probably grab that header and search and come up with a better document.  You can also search for configuration guides for those specific IOS revisions and it will explain.  However, this seems simple enough that you can just enter config t, type in "errdisable ?" and you'll see what needs to be done.

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,429 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    12. Jun 1, 2009 5:06 PM (in response to Rickey)

Yup, as noted above, you want to setup your err-desable cause and interval appropriately!   That way you won't despise your users so much!

Always remember though, the more idiot-proof you make something, they'll just keep coming up with better idiots! 

Scott

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)