Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > CCIE Wireless > Discussions

_Communities

3817 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2013 6:48 PM by Chris RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Home Lab setup for the v2.0 Lab Exam

Jul 8, 2013 12:54 PM

Chris 8 posts since
Jul 12, 2010

Quick background - I work in a large Enterprise Gov't environment. 

Supporting over 25k Users in a Multi-Site Cisco Environment.  (ACS 5.4/WCS/44xx/AD/EAP-TLS in the (slow) process of migrating towards ISE/NCS/MSE/55xx/AD/EAP-TLS/BYOD/Guest)   No VoWLAN/Multicast currently, but after forklift upgrade likely.

So I have some experience in a day to day operations understanding of most of these devices, save the MSE/Loc2710.

Finishing up my CCNP-W exams, (IAUWS/IUMWS - sitting IUWVN later this month and CUWSS shortly thereafter) and then off to the Written. 

Using the below lab setup to a) start prepping scenarios for exams/lab per config guides b) more realworld survey analysis (Cisco Adv. Services was contracted for the previous analysis/equipment buy list)

Using the available information provided from Cisco, I've created an extensive spreadsheet that includes TechNotes/Configuration Guides/etc (along with a who's who of blogs with most of the industry "big names")

I *think* that this should hit 95% of the scenarios on the v2.0, but looking for some feedback from those whom have taken the Lab or close too it.

Still adding some components for prep for v3.0/Work environment.  (see MSE 3310 to replace Demo VM image).  Suggestions/Feedback appreciated.

** CCIE Wireless Home Lab **

1 Windows 2003 AD Server (PowerEdge 2650)

1 VMware Server (MSE, WCS) (PowerEdge 2950)

1 Cisco 1113 Secure Access Control Server (ACS 4.2)

1 Cisco Catalyst 3750 (Layer 3)

1 Cisco Catalyst 2960 (Layer 2)

1 Cisco 2504 Wireless Lan Controller (7.2x and above code - Foreign Controller)

1 Cisco 4404 Wireless Lan Controller (Anchor Controller - Guest/BYOD)

1 Cisco 3502e Access Point (Clean Air)

5 Cisco 1131 Access Point (LWAPP, Autonomous, Mesh)

1 Cisco 2811 Router (Main Router w/ Unified Communications Manager Express 8.6)

1 Cisco 7921g Wireless VoIP Phone

1 Cisco Mobility Services Engine 3310 *New*

1 Cisco 6509 Chassis *New*

1 Cisco 6509 Supervisor - Sup720 *New*

1 Cisco WiSM *New*

1 Cisco Spectrum Expert

1 Fluke AirMagnet Spectrum XT *New*

1 Metageek Wi-Spy DBX w/ Chanalyzer Pro - *New*

1 AirMagnet A5225 Sensor *New*

-Chris

• Pete Nugent 275 posts since
    Jan 27, 2012
    1. Jul 8, 2013 2:07 PM (in response to Chris)
    Re: Home Lab setup for the v2.0 Lab Exam

From what I understand the I would upgrade your ACS to 5.2, and stay with all 7.0 codes for the WLAN.

There won't be any BYOD and I do not think there is any WiSMs but VSS may be there.

I would love to know more aout the expectations re CUCM as that will be my weakest area along woith QoS.

You also want to add Anyconnect client

See here for details of software and hardware

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5278

• Pete Nugent 275 posts since
    Jan 27, 2012
    3. Jul 9, 2013 7:49 AM (in response to Chris)

Chris

I didn't see a link to your spreadsheets. I really need to knuckledown and get labing for this but work and life get in the way.

I would be interested to see the v3.0 stuff you mention if it is in the public domain.

• Jeff Rensink 265 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008
    5. Jul 10, 2013 7:40 AM (in response to Chris)

That is definitely an adequate amount of equipment for studying for the IE lab.  As others have mentioned, you'll want to settle into 7.0.116.0 code on the controllers and 5.2 for ACS.

One small thing that you won't be able to do with your equipment is root/non-root bridge in autonomous.  The 1131 APs don't support that.  A pair of 1242s would serve you well for autonomous APs for not too much money.

If you are spending your own money, you may want to skip the 6500 and WiSM stuff.  WiSMs are no longer in the lab and the amout of 6500 specific configs are not worth dropping thousands of dollars.  If you have a 6500 somewhere available to you that you can practice on a couple of times, that should be plenty. 

Again, if you are spending your own money, skip the MSE appliance.  It's not worth dropping thousands of dollars when you could just rent some rack session time and get all of the MSE practice you would need for less than 1/10 of the price.

I'll actually be publishing a blog series on building a home lab for the CCIE Wireless very soon over at http://blog.ipexpert.com/ if you want to keep an eye out for that.

• mrncciew 27 posts since
    Jan 11, 2009
    7. Jul 15, 2013 3:58 PM (in response to Chris)

Hi Chris,

I would suggest you to have at least one 5508 in your lab set up.(if money is not an issue). In the current version (2.0) of the exam all 4 controllers are 5508. Even in v3.0 , I do not think this will go away.

I would say you have more than enough equipment to practice for wireless lab exam. Also your excel sheet is comprehensive & include everything if someone need guidance what to look at.

I would suggest to have a time plan develop & have a clear idea how many hours you spend in each of these (technote, config guide, lab config, video material/ect) & see how you progress with time. Otherwise there are so much information & you will never cover all of these before your exam. You need to refine your plan as time goes.

Good luck with your studies

Rasika (www.mrncciew.com)

• Efx 629 posts since
    Jun 26, 2010
    9. Jul 19, 2013 8:18 AM (in response to Chris)

Study for CUWN 7.0.

WLC 2504 does not have HA yet, just N+1 deployment possible (primary, secondary, tertiary controllers).

Will you be able to share your lab equipment in future? To help study for others?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)