Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > CCNA SP Study Group > Discussions
This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 1 Helpful Answer available (2 pts)
6087 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 1:30 AM by Olly RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Books for CCNA - SP

May 17, 2013 8:08 AM

kaushik.ray 33 posts since
Sep 21, 2010

Hello All

Can anybody please advice if there are any books / materials to refer for preparing this exam; I do understand that there are various books that covers most of the topics which form this exams but just wanted to know if there any concrete source.

Many Thanks

Kaushik

• Olly 6 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    1. May 17, 2013 8:43 AM (in response to kaushik.ray)
    Re: Books for CCNA - SP

Kaushik,

I passed the SPNGN1 exam this morning.  I did this entirely through self-study using the Cisco Press CCNA 100-101 and 200-101 certification guides and the Cisco Press IOS XR Fundamentals book.  If you compare the topics covered in the books with the exam syllabus there are a few topics, mainly under "Security in the Network" and "Network Management", that can be filled in by browsing the pages on cisco.com.  I already hold the CCNA RS certification, which was a great help given the high degree of overlap between the exams and the large amount of CCNA material available.

I haven't done SPNGN2 yet.  For the materials on the SPNGN2 syllabus I think I'll need to skim some of the old CCIP material available.  I note that IS-IS was on the old BSCI syllabus, so a BSCI book should fill in the gap.

--Olly

• ash 10 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    3. May 20, 2013 11:40 PM (in response to Olly)

brother Olly,

many congrats for your success. Can you please share links to download the supporting study material that you used to prepare.

Thnx,

Ash

• Ashpool 1 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    4. Jul 17, 2013 9:33 AM (in response to Olly)

Thanks Olly,

Is there a massive difference between CCNA v1 and 2? I dont really want to buy books for a course i have already completed...

It really does surprise me that there are not more organised resources for this course. I have only just decided to go via this path not CCNP R&S so am just descovering what everyone else has been complaining about for months and still Cisco have not responded. Even 3rd party trainers like CBT have not got going on this yet.

I am going to try and compile a study list and some labs based on what you have said. If it is useful i will post it here.

Thanks

Dan

• Olly 6 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    5. Jul 17, 2013 10:52 AM (in response to Ashpool)

Hi Dan,

I think the main benefit of the CCNA routing and switching books is that they give you a feel for the level of knowledge that may be required for SPNGN1 / SPNGN2.  I used the latest books because I have a 'Basic Starter' subscription to SafariBooksOnline which allows me to use up to five books at a time.  The old ones are probably still good if you have them.  For the CCNA SP exams I put the following books on my Safari bookshelf:

ICND1 Exam Certification Guide

ICND2 Exam Certification Guide

IOS XR Fundamentals

ROUTE Exam Certification Guide

SWITCH Exam Certification Guide

Getting CLI experience with IOS-XR is a little tricky unless you happen to have a spare ASR9K lying around somewhere (unlikely).  I found that there is an 'IOS-XR Instruction' lab available through the Cisco Partner Education Connection (PEC) which you may be able to access if your company is a Cisco partner.  I hadn't tried out the ME3400 before the SPNGN1 exam which I probably should have done for some of the ES-port functionality.

I'm actually on the course for the SPROUTE exam this week because my real target is CCNP SP too.  While I completed the self study for SPNGN2 before this I didn't sit the exam because I knew it would be easier after a week on the SPROUTE course and access to the full Cisco CCNx-SP Learning Labs for the duration :-)

Hope that helps.

--Olly

• Usama 2 posts since
    Dec 30, 2013
    6. Jan 2, 2014 6:51 PM (in response to Olly)

Hi  Olly,

it feels like there is no such supporting material on sites and even at those who have passed the CCNA (SP) exam .

ur recomanded books are still supporting or not !

i.e;

ICND1 Exam Certification Guide

ICND2 Exam Certification Guide

IOS XR Fundamentals

ROUTE Exam Certification Guide

SWITCH Exam Certification Guide

Can I get dumps from you . are they successfull ??

-- Usama

• Rigo - Community Moderator 4,690 posts since
    Feb 9, 2009
    7. Jan 3, 2014 10:13 AM (in response to Usama)

Hi Usama,

Braindumps are not successful and there is no real value in using them. In fact, there can be serious consequences for using such material as you risk having your certifications revoked and can face a ban from the Cisco Certification program. Please refrain from requesting braindump material here on the Cisco Learning Network.

Cisco Learning Partners offer authorized training courses for the SPNGN1 and SPNGN2 exams, which is the recommended training. For your reference, you will find additional resources to help with your studies in the Study/Learn pages for the CCNA Service Provider exams. Please visit:

SPNGN1: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna_service_provider/spngn1_exam?tab=studylearn

SPNGN2: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna_service_provider/spngn2_exam?tab=studylearn

Best of luck on your studies!

Regards,

Rigo

Cisco Learning Network Moderator

• jommuel ty 11 posts since
    Sep 23, 2013

thank u for your info..i yes learn something today.....

• jommuel ty 11 posts since
    Sep 23, 2013

thank you Rigo

• Usama 2 posts since
    Dec 30, 2013

Hi Rigo ,

CCNA (SP) has two papers SPNGN1 & SPNGN2  . is it possible to appear in single exam??  If then it's exam code ...

• Olly 6 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    11. Jan 6, 2014 1:30 AM (in response to Usama)

Usama,

If you are trying to approach CCNA SP through self study, the books you will need depend on your level of knowledge and experience.  Instructor led courses are the easiest solution as you will get a study guide provided with the course that has everything you need to know.

If you don't have CCNA Routing and Switching I suggest you try that first (and possibly also CCNP R/S) as there are many published books for that course.  You then need to find books to cover the gaps to cover the service provider syllabus.  I found the IOS-XR fundamentals book good, but be aware that it is targetted at someone who had CCIP equivalent knowledge and wanted to convert to IOS-XR.  Some of the gaps can be filled in by the CCNP books, but if you view the CCNA SP as the first of many steps on the service provider track, you could go straight to the two Jeff Doyle Routing TCP/IP books as these are more comprehensive.

I don't think there is a combined exam for CCNA SP.

--Olly

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)