Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Discussions

_Communities

5486 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2009 8:54 AM by Erick RSS

Currently Being Moderated

CCIE R&S Lab troubleshooting - good, bad, or something else?

May 6, 2009 5:22 AM

Wendell Odom 339 posts since
Jun 19, 2008

Hi folks,

I blog at http://www.networkworld.com/odom, and posted some comments and surveys on the new CCIE lab changes. My friends in the CCIE program asked that I cross-link between my blog and the Cisco Learning Network, hence this post. I've asked a couple of questions in the first such blog post: 1) what happenes to your chances of passing the lab now that troubleshooting is back on the lab? The other: 2) Which of the changes announced on May 4th have a posistive effect, in your opinion, about making the CCIE R/S match the job roles of today's net engineers? I invite you to post here, post there, and at least click the surveys.

I'll post about the written changes before the week's out.

Thanks...

Wendell Odom

• Randy 27 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009

Wendell, welcome to CLN.

I have been following your posts over at Network Work / Cisco Subnet for years now.  I actually had a chance to read your post over there last night and do agree with mostly all the comments posted in that troubleshooting is essential.  Personally, I think this adds even more value to a certification that is already held to the highest standards.  I am curious if this will soon trickle down to the Professional level certifications.

- Randy

• Wendell, great to see you posting over here!  I too follow yours and others' blogs over at Network World - always good reading to be found there!

I would like to think having troubleshooting there will increase my chances of success.  My previous position was mainly focused on advanced break/fix production problem resolution on a global network.  I gained some invaluable experience working with some exeptionally bright individuals.  I am hoping this experience will make the troubleshooting go by a little easier!

As far as making the CCIE more relevant to real world jobs - every job role I've ever held required troubleshooting on a daily basis.  I don't see that changing much when I get my CCIE #.  I view the CCIE as an expert at network implementation and operation.  The folks with hands on day to day are the ones that would benefit the most from gaining the advanced technical expertise from the pursuit of the CCIE.  This seems to be esepecially true now that Cisco has introduced the CCDE and has branched design out on it's own expert track.

I think this is a positive change.

• Rickey 1,062 posts since
    Jul 3, 2008

Is the written part changing at all?  I just bought the cisco press book for the CCIE 350-001 v3.0  I guess I had some bad timing.

• Yes, if you check out the new Standards page it lists a v4.0.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4374

It's not a total loss - even if they don't call this an update, and wrote an entirely new book - the v3.0 exam cert guide still has some excellent information in it.  I keep it even after I've passed the written for quick reviews of technologies.

Jul 3, 2008

That sucks.  Since the book I bought is for 3.1 I'm guessing I'll be buying a new book soon.  that sucks =/  It was an 80 dollar book!

Jul 3, 2008

Thanks Wendell!  You are probably right.  I heard a rumor that WAAS was being introduced into the IE lab.  Is that able to be confirmed?

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,395 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008

WAAS?  That would be amusing, but no.  Not in the R&S blueprint.  Now, I've heard that the Storage CCIE is going to be majorly overhauled (and perhaps renamed to "Data Center CCIE"?) which would certainly be something that could involve a WAAS setup.

Just my two cents, nothing verified beyond the fact it's not in the R&S any time soon.

Scott

PS.  Hi Wendell, it's good to see you here!

PPS.  I think the new blueprint is MOSTLY great (I'm still not entirely convinced on the logic with the MPLS VPN full configuration, but I'm still pondering that one before settling into an opinion).  Troubleshooting on the other hand is long overdue, and has been something sorely lacking in engineers these days!

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,395 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008

I do sleep now and then.  But I was stuck between airports getting home from DC last night, so CLN passed some time! 

The beauty of consulting projects!

Anyway, you're correct, while it could be part of some basic enterprise-scoped MPLS projects, my problem with that is that seems to be relegated to the LARGER enterprises.  It's not something I see as a primary job focus or thing to be concerned with from an SMB, commercial, or even most VARs-type scenario!

While it never hurts to have people aim higher than the necessary industry benchmark, I'm not just convinced it's a necessity.  But then I've been thoroughly irked with the MPLS topics covered in the CCNP-level courses as well.  They throw it at you like you need to know it, but they only give enough exercises to say "Oooo...  Look, there's labels.  Now let's go do something completely different!"  It's a topic for the sake of having a topic rather than addressing it from "this is what it is, this is the part you will see and how you'll need to interface with it".

And at the same time, the CCNP-level courses COMPLETELY slaughtered and obliterated any thought process of troubleshooting.  And people wonder why skills gaps exist.

That's enough rant for the moment.  I get cranky when airlines do stupid things. 

Scott

• CCNP courses obliterate the troubleshooting thought process?  You mean debug all on all routers at 10:00 AM is NOT a good idea?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)