Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > CCENT/CCNA R&S Study Group > Discussions
This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
45220 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 9:44 PM by Uma Shankar V. RSS 1 2 Previous Next

Currently Being Moderated

Designated Ports and Non-Designated Ports

Mar 22, 2013 2:14 PM

Mike.B 528 posts since
Oct 20, 2008

Hi Guys,

I'm getting totally confused again on STP.  Can someone please explain the difference between Designated Ports and Non-Designated Ports? I know this should be simple but the way the instructor explained it confused me even more. =(

-M

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    1. Apr 30, 2009 11:00 PM (in response to Mike.B)
    Re: Designated Ports and Non-Designated Ports

Hi Mike

A port is designated if it is used to access a lan segment.

Regards Conwyn

• Mathew Newton 82 posts since
    Mar 7, 2009
    2. May 1, 2009 5:30 AM (in response to Mike.B)

Hi Mike,

Again, I'm on the same path as you so take my perspective with the caution it deserves!

I consider the 'designated' and 'non-designated' descriptions to relate to the role that a particular port plays i.e. which port on any one link is considered to be the lowest cost to the root (and hence becomes designated) as opposed to those ports (routes) with higher costs (which become non-designated). In the literal sense, 'designated' means 'chosen to do a particular job' or 'given a particular purpose'. On any one link there can only be one designated port (i.e. one end of the link must be, or is chosen to be, closest to the root bridge).

Designated ports (along with root ports) are put into a forwarding state, although remember that this doesn't usually happen immediately - they have to go through the blocking > listening > learning > forwarding state transition steps first. Non-designated ports have no role to play and hence are put into blocking mode.

If it helps, consider root/designated/non-designated as port roles, and fowarding/blocking as port states. Every bridge has a root port, and every link has a designated port.

Mathew

P.S. Try not to get too frustrated at learning STP as the elegance and effectiveness of it hides the underlying fact of the matter that graph theory (from which spanning trees, and the STP algorithm, comes from) is actually a very complex area of mathematics. Just try and get to grips with the order of events (election of a root bridge, identificiation of root ports on each bridge, identification of designated ports on each link, application of port states) coupled with the correct terminology for the process/parts and leave the underlying magic to do its bit!

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. May 1, 2009 6:14 AM (in response to Mike.B)

Hi Mke!

One thing to keep in mind is that every collision domain must have a bridge with a designated port.  The easy and simple way to look at is like this;  The designated port's only responsibility is to advertise BPDU's on that segment and to accept and forward traffic from downstream neighbors.

If you have not yet watched this presentation, I highly suggest it.  The presenter is clear and concise with the information being presented.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1755

Erick

• amine00 133 posts since
    Dec 17, 2008
    5. May 1, 2009 9:57 AM (in response to Mike.B)

Hi Mike,

Here's a flash animation which explain clearly the basics of STP:

http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/10556/spanning_tree1.swf

HTH

• Tony 61 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    6. May 2, 2009 9:51 AM (in response to Mike.B)

Think of a designated port as the port that you use to access each collision domain as stated above. For every port on a switch, it "could" be connected to multiple devices, like through a hub, and still connect to another switch. So every link between two switches requires one side to be forwarding at least. This ensures that everywhere in the LAN, there is a path to every device. However, there should only be one side that sends to this area as well otherwise we get duplicate frames.

Now lets assume a scenario where we have two switches connected with 2 ports to each other. You would say, why would I need one forwarding side for each link, I have two links and as long as 1 is sending, it should be fine right? Well not quite. Ethernet is a shared medium standard. So if we block both sides from one link and only use the other link, then if the blocked link is shared with a device, through a hub, or using coax cables physically sharing the same cable, then we would not be able to reach that device since the link to them are blocked.

• sanjeev 132 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    7. May 11, 2009 1:47 PM (in response to Mike.B)

Designated ports >>>>Forwarding ports >>.Found mainly in root bridge

Non-designated Ports >>>Blocking >>>>But can also receive

Root Port>>>>>THe lowest-cost path to from a non-root brdge to the root bridge

Root Bridge >>>Wins the election based on BPDU and Mac Address

• Chris 811 posts since
    Jul 25, 2008
    8. Jun 12, 2009 8:18 AM (in response to Mike.B)

This is why this forum is so Awesome!!!

Thanks to all the posts in this thread.  Matt/Tony what great explanations; and thanks Amine for the link.

Cisco, could you please have one common area where folks can find your "wonderful" flash animations and other QLMs which weren't specifically created for CLN?  We here on CLN only seem to come across these presentations when others get lucky finding them and decide to post them when responding to questions.

Thanks

• Eric Belrose 180 posts since
    Jun 27, 2008
    9. Jan 6, 2011 8:09 AM (in response to Chris)

Just to add a little to this because I saw it was unanswered...

Designated ports exist on every segment if you have 3 switches in a triangle two connections to root would form a v.  That last line is the designated connection and the bridge with the lowest BID would win if all other things were equal.

If you have multiple connections then the picture then it needs that last senders PID to determine which of the two becomes designated.

I don't like the statement that designated ports are found mainly on the root bridge.  A designated port is on every lan segment so that is kind of a broad statment.  If you think of Designated ports as in charge and root ports as subordinate it is a little clearer I find.

Designated ports feed root ports.

Non-Designated ports are ports that block because they are neither root, nor designated.

Hope this helps and I didn't make any mistakes that confuse you.

• speculor_learning 2 posts since
    Aug 13, 2009
    10. Jan 6, 2011 10:43 AM (in response to Mike.B)

Hello Mike.

If you want a true understanding of STP, I would recommend

Radia Perlman's text "Interconnections".

• Hashem 66 posts since
    Sep 26, 2009
    11. Jan 7, 2011 9:50 AM (in response to Mike.B)

STP uses the Spanning Tree Algorithm (STA) to determine which switch ports on a network need to be configured for blocking to prevent loops from occurring.

After the root bridge has been determined, the STA calculates the shortest path to the root bridge. Each switch uses the STA to determine which ports to block.

There are four distinct port roles that switch ports are automatically configured for during the spanning-tree process.

1- Root Port

The root port exists on non-root bridges and is the switch port with the best path to the root bridge. Root ports forward traffic toward the root bridge

2-Designated Port

The designated port exists on root and non-root bridges.

a- For root bridges, all switch ports are designated ports.

b-For non-root bridges, a designated port is the switch port that receives and forwards frames toward the root bridge as needed. Only one designated port is allowed per segment.

3-Non-designated Port

The non-designated port is a switch port that is blocked, so it is not forwarding data frames and not populating the MAC address table with source addresses. A non-designated port is not a root port or a designated port.

4-Disabled Port

The disabled port is a switch port that is administratively shut down.

When determining the root port on a switch, the switch compares the path costs on all switch ports participating in the spanning tree. The switch port with the lowest overall path cost to the root is automatically assigned the root port role because it is closest to the root bridge. In a network topology, all switches that are using spanning tree, except for the root bridge, have a single root port defined.

After a switch has determined which of its ports is configured in the root port role, it needs to decide which ports have the designated and non-designated roles.

1-The root bridge automatically configures all of its switch ports in the designated role

2-Other switches in the topology configure their non-root ports as designated or non-designated ports.

• Chaos 3D 55 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    12. Jan 8, 2011 11:00 PM (in response to Mike.B)

A Designated Port is used to forward data or you can say its in a forwarding state, a Root bridge or as i say supervisor switch has all of its  ports in this state means Designated state , Non-Root Bridge switches also have designated ports but it can be not always in this state means forwarding, now non-Designated ports means ports that are blocked (they don't forward data ) to avoid loops or a broadcast storm they are redundant path used as a backup path.

• -Ypsilon- 135 posts since
    Jul 14, 2010
    13. Nov 12, 2011 3:35 PM (in response to Mike.B)

Why everyone keeps mentioning that a non-designated port is a blocking port? As I see it, the word designated explains the role of the port (not state). The role for stp can either be designated or root with the latter being a non-DP but also forwarding. To make it worse I saw this question in the ICND 2 modules here in CLN:

21.     Regarding STP, what is the state of a nondesignated port?

blocking

learning

listening

forwarding

Before I answered it I knew that according to the writer the right answer would be A. Yet if you think about the states and roles the state of a non-dp can be the state of a root (role) port, which is forwarding. Makes sense?

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,351 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009
    14. Nov 12, 2011 5:26 PM (in response to Mike.B)

Hello Mike-

Tons of great answers.

Great thread.

This video may be of interest to you as well.

Best wishes,

Keith

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)