Cisco Learning Home > CCNA Voice Study Group > Discussions
3392 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2013 11:26 AM by gnovak RSS

Currently Being Moderated

New to Cisco VOICE

Jan 15, 2013 3:48 PM

Aakil 69 posts since
Apr 29, 2012

Dear group members,

I am new to the world of Cisco VOICE. I have just started reading CCNA VOICE Guide from Sybex by Andrew Froehlich. Today I bough a new book CCNA VOICE Official Cert Guide 640-461 by Jermey Cioara and Michael Valentine.

My Question is that how to start studying CCNA Voice so that I should make the things clear. Right now I am doing self study without any instructor. So just guide me how to procedd further.

• Daniel_S 26 posts since
    Nov 18, 2012
    1. Nov 29, 2012 5:14 AM (in response to Aakil)
    Re: New to Cisco VOICE

I'm using the. Urgently free videos from INE.com as a supplement. I used CBTnuggets as a supplement for my ccna.   I watched the videos first, then read. I always watched the. Ideo again when I was reviewing specific areas.  Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device.

• Daniel_S 26 posts since
    Nov 18, 2012
    2. Nov 29, 2012 5:15 AM (in response to Daniel_S)

Whoops. S/urgently/currently  I love the Mobil site, hate auto autocorrect.

Posted from my mobile device.

• Matt Saunders - Community Manager 2,212 posts since
    Jun 18, 2012
    3. Nov 29, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to Aakil)

Hi Aakil - Congratulations on starting your new journey! Have you had an opportunity to review the CCNA Voice Syllabus and  exam topics checklist just yet? That is always a great place to start when building a studying plan.

CCNA Voice Exam Syllabus

CCNA Voice Exam Blueprint

~Matt

• Michael 6 posts since
    Sep 27, 2011
    4. Nov 30, 2012 9:01 AM (in response to Aakil)

Congrats on your endevor. I highly recommend purchasing some Cisco lab equipment (switch, router, a few ip phones, etc) to practice on. You can get it relatively cheap on ebay. I couldn't imagine trying to do this course without it. There are many many commands available in CCNA VOICE that need practice. If you are doing the CCNA VOICE then I assume you are already a CCNA? It is possible to get through the CCNA exam without lab equipment, however, the CCNA VOICE is a whole different set of commands. You don't have to buy top of the line equipment, just get enough to get started and go from there. Good luck My Friend.

• Currently Being Moderated
    5. Dec 1, 2012 7:54 AM (in response to Aakil)

I'm starting the track as well, and the biggest thing is just having "something"  that allows you to work with the technology.  You have three choices:

1) Packet Tracer - This tool (normally available through CISCO Network Academy) will allow some basic and advanced configuration of a simple CME environment:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rQakFGMZRM (Basic IP Phone Configuration)

2) GNS3 - If you dont' have any hardware, this is an "excellent" way to learn provided you have router voice images; packet tracer, although very useful, "lacks" the majority of commands you would find in a full IOS, hence why it's more advantageous using GNS3 provided you have the approporiate images:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dN1G47yKDc  (GNS3 IP Phone Configuration

3) Buying Voice Hardware - If you have the money, then by all means, definitely purchase the hardware: http://www.teksavers.com/ (Re-Certified Equipment for Cheap).

These are just a few avenues I can think of... As mentioned, Jeremy Ciora has put out viable information in both his CBT Nugget and the book (which as you'll notice are synchronized as far as diagrams go).  Whether you learn better reading first and then watching the video ( or vice-versa) having a combination of the above will get you through this...  :-)

Jay

• Matt Saunders - Community Manager 2,212 posts since
    Jun 18, 2012

That's great advice @Jay.johnson1 and Michael! Thank you for jumping in and offering the wisdom.

• Light 1 posts since
    May 17, 2012
    7. Dec 26, 2012 5:54 AM (in response to Aakil)

Congratulations for starting on studying ..

• Ashutosh 6 posts since
    Nov 29, 2012
    8. Dec 26, 2012 8:11 AM (in response to Aakil)

Hi Akil,

All the best in your new endevour. I would suggest reading the CCNA voice Official Cert guide topic by topic. As you finish reading a topic in the cert guide, follow it up with CBT nuggets and finally cement it with practically doing it on the device itself. If you can afford buying new equipment, nothing like it, otherwise you can rent CCNA voice labs. But do not consider a topic finished till you have practically implemented and tested it on the device.

Best of luck.

Ashutosh

• Kamaraj 1 posts since
    Dec 28, 2012
    9. Dec 28, 2012 9:27 PM (in response to Aakil)

hi,

I am also new to this. Please clarify CCNA is the mandaotry pre-requistie for taking up CCNA Voice?

• ramaiya99 178 posts since
    Jan 9, 2009
    10. Dec 31, 2012 3:03 AM (in response to Kamaraj)

Hi Kamaraj

You need to be CCNA qualified to take CCNA voice and earn the qualification. You could take the CCNA voice qualification and pass this but you will not become CCNA voice qualified until you pass the CCNA.

Good Luck

• gnovak 6 posts since
    Feb 14, 2013
    11. Jun 20, 2013 11:26 AM (in response to ramaiya99)

To follow up you only need the CCENT now but I recommend the CCNA R&S for any path even if it's not mandatory.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)