Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Security (CCNP Security) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
1393 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 12:45 PM by Fred RSS

Currently Being Moderated

CCNP Security lab hardware

May 1, 2012 7:39 AM

Fred 26 posts since
Jan 16, 2011

Just passed my CCNA Security exam today and now I'm thinking of moving on to CCNP Security, I read somewhere that 2 ASA's are required for a home lab setup, is this true? I'm wanting to upgrade my current home lab towards to what I would need, and if 2 ASA's are required, that can be pretty expensive, even on ebay. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to what I will need going forward. 

Thanks

• simonb 65 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010
    1. May 1, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to Fred)
    Re: CCNP Security lab hardware

This question gets asked quite a bit. Below is a link to a previous discussion regarding it.

In a nutshell, two ASA's are needed for ASA-to-ASA VPN and also to practice High Availability. For the VPN, two smaller 5505's are fine. For the HA, you can't do it with anything less than two 5510s with Secuity Plus licences.

As a work around, a cheaper alternative would be one ASA 5505 for access to the new code for NAT, SSL VPN etc and two older PIX 515 with Unrestricted licences to do the HA as the commands for that are the same

Simon

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/209469#209469

• simonb 65 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010
    3. May 1, 2012 12:07 PM (in response to Fred)
    Re: CCNP Security lab hardware

My suggestion would be to do which ever one interests you more. That way you are more likely to actually enjoy your study and complete it instead of it becoming a chore because the content doesn't actually interest you. Personally, I think everything else is a secondary consideration to what interests you.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)