_Communities

1019 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2012 5:38 AM by Alexandru RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Can CCNP act as a pre-req for CCNP SP?

Apr 28, 2012 2:20 PM

Tom Cooper 7 posts since
Sep 15, 2011

Hi,

I was just wondering if Cisco would consider adding CCNP R&S as a pre-req for the new CCNP Service Provider track.

I was studying for CCIP since completing my CCNP last year but now I'm unsure if I would consider CCNP SP. Even though the material is more up-to-date, both CCNA SP exams are $250 a pop and I don't think my organization would foot the bill for those as we're an enterprise shop, not full blow SP.

I just don't see the point of having to go back, other than the IOS XR basics in SPNGN2, to study for CCNA SP just to move onto CCNP SP.

Any clarification regarding CCNP R&S as a pre-req would be greatly appreciated....thanks.

Tom Cooper

• Martin 13,067 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    1. Apr 28, 2012 2:29 PM (in response to Tom Cooper)
    Re: Can CCNP act as a pre-req for CCNP SP?

I would say no, unfortunately;

we feel your pain, you are not only one.

• Jared 5,498 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008
    2. Apr 28, 2012 3:05 PM (in response to Tom Cooper)

I would have to agree with Martin and say no as well.  Even though Cisco is creating all of these concentration tracks of their certifications, I think you will find that there will always  some overlap between them.  It is pretty obvious that a CCNP R&S could work in a SP environment.  Routing and Switching are technical skill sets that are needed both in an Enterprise and an ISP.  However I think that a certification not only focuses on technology skills but the application of those skills.  I think that will be a difference in CCNP vs CCNP SP and why Cisco may not choose to allow CCNP to be a pre-requisite for CCNP SP.  It may not be the technology differences but the application of those technologies in the different environments.

Just my opinion.

• Bradford Chatterjee (CCIEx2/CCDE) 347 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    4. Apr 28, 2012 8:54 PM (in response to Tom Cooper)

I've taken the CCNA SP tests and today I took (and passed) SPCORE. To be fair, I haven't taken the current version of the CCNA or CCNP exams, but there didn't seem to be a lot of overlap between CCNA SP and CCNA or CCNP. There are topics on the CCNA SP, like multicast and CLNS, that I know for a fact are not covered in the R&S track before the CCIE level, if at all. IOS-XR and IOS-XE aren't covered in R&S. I felt like it was actually a very well-designed set of tests.

I get the cost argument, but if you can't pass CCNA SP then you definitely aren't ready for CCNP SP, and so it makes a very sensible pre-requisite.

• Jared 5,498 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008

Cool to hear from someone who has taken the exam!  Thank you very much for your perspective and insight!  I understand where others are coming from regarding cost, but if I do like the enterprise vs Service provider distinction between the two tracks.  If that is the distinction, then CCNP is right for me!  I am an enterprise guy, not a service provider guy.

• Rigo - Community Moderator 4,653 posts since
    Feb 9, 2009
    6. Apr 30, 2012 5:39 PM (in response to Tom Cooper)

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, a valid CCNP certification will not fulfill the pre-requisite requirement for CCNP Service Provider.

The current pre-requisite requirement for the CCNP Service Provider is a valid CCNA Service Provider certification (or any valid CCIE certification will act as a pre-requisite). Also, a valid CCIP certification will fulfill the pre-requisite requirement for CCNP Service Provider, so individuals who are certified in CCIP will not need to achieve the CCNA Service Provider certification towards CCNP Service Provider.

Individuals with a valid CCIP certification will only need to pass the 642-887 SPCORE and 642-889 SPEDGE exams to become certified in CCNP Service Provider.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Regards,

Rigo

Cisco Learning Network Moderator

• Abdulraziq 6 posts since
    Mar 16, 2012
    7. May 17, 2012 1:44 AM (in response to Tom Cooper)

I am afraid not, however , as you are a CCNP , CCNA SP will not be a headache at all.

good luck.

• peteriteboy2006 1 posts since
    Oct 13, 2010
    9. May 19, 2012 9:39 PM (in response to Tom Cooper)

As I understand it, a CCNP (who has already passed the ROUTE exam) should only need to do SPAVDROUTE, SPCORE and SPEDGE to get the CCNP-SP (according to the migration tool). Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Raman - Community Moderator 79 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    10. May 21, 2012 2:07 PM (in response to peteriteboy2006)

If a candidate has a valid Route exam (all professional level exams are valid for three years), then yes, they will need to  pass the SPAVDROUTE, SPCORE and SPEDGE exams to achieve the CCNP Service Provider certification.

Please also keep in mind, candidates also need to have a valid CCNA Service Provider or a CCIE Certification in order to fulfill the prerequisite requirements for the CCNP Service Provider certification.

Regards,

Raman

Cisco Learning Network Moderator

• Alexandru 3 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    11. Jul 3, 2012 5:38 AM (in response to Tom Cooper)

Hi,

I got my CCNA , and i was wanting to take the CCIP path , now  it seems that the only option for me is to go to CCNP SP . On web I found different information regarding pre-req and I gest want to understand clearly,. My question is , if i will go for CCNP Route  , then this two CCNA+CCNP Route will  be enought as pre-req (and I gest need to continue with SPAVDROUTE, SPCORE and SPEDGE), or should I consider taking CCNA SP (this way my CCNA is useless for my professional path) ?

Regards

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)