Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNA) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 1 Helpful Answer available (2 pts)
7371 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 10:32 AM by David L. Brown RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Use of Secondary IP

Apr 4, 2012 11:48 PM

Ashiq 92 posts since
Apr 6, 2011

What is the actual use of configuring Secondary IP on an interface ?

Can a secondary IP be configured on all types of Interface ?

• mjones - CCNP 196 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    1. Apr 5, 2012 6:26 AM (in response to Ashiq)
    Re: Use of Secondary IP

Secondary IP's are generally used in a migration process, where a subnet is being extended, or moved, and a number of hosts in that subnet may have differing default gateways.

I've also seen it when I worked for an ISP, in that point of view where the customers LAN doesnt trunk up to the router (non cisco switch, poor LAN design, their own migration issues etc) and the customer requested the secondary IP, without dot 1q trunking on the router.

Search for secondary on this page - theres a couple of other points: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfipadr.html

And there was a similar question in the CCNP forum a while back:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/21286

Hope that helps,

MJ

• Steven Williams 3,266 posts since
    Jan 26, 2009
    2. Apr 5, 2012 1:33 PM (in response to mjones - CCNP)

MJ's reason is the reason I use it. 

• Jared 5,502 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008
    3. Apr 6, 2012 7:17 AM (in response to Steven Williams)

I once inherited a network that used secondary IPs to expand the amount of IP addresses on the lan.  This is all well and dandy but remember that when you add a secondary IP range, you are adding them in a broadcast domain and thus you have 2 Ip ranges in the same broadcast domain.  I have seen some weird anomalies with this kind of set up with various applications and have determined that it is really not a good long term practice.  I have only done it as a termporary transisition and I do mean temporary.

• Stephen 488 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    4. Apr 6, 2012 12:01 PM (in response to Ashiq)

Hi,

You can use as many secondary IP's as you want.  The only time I have seen it used is when the subnet assigned to an interface was too small.  So there was a /23, and all IP addresses were used.  A seperate secondary /22 IP address was assigned as a secondary IP address.  So therefore you can keep the /23 on the interface, but also use IP addresses in the /22 range as well.  Eventually the /23 was faded out, and only the /22 was used.  A very helpful migration strategy

Regards,

Stephen

• Daniel 197 posts since
    Jul 21, 2011
    6. Apr 11, 2012 1:58 AM (in response to Ashiq)

Hi Ashiq,

The way i use it is: no ip address xxx yyy secondary, just like most commands "no" in front to remove.

I can't say if it automatically switches to a "primary" ip address, but i don't believe so - not seen it. I just no ip address xxx yyy secondary followed by a ip address xxx yyy. There's no need to remove both the "primary" and the secondary ip-address...as the command "ip address xxx yyy" overwrites whatever ip-address that is already set.

As a side-comment to Stephen, i came across this simular configuration on a network just a few weeks back which during a migration required to be part of *several subnets in the same vlan on the same interface*....and whichever cisco book and studies you do they teach you that you can't do this, but it's doable - just not recommended.

-Daniel

• Sey 1,388 posts since
    May 4, 2010
    7. Apr 11, 2012 6:21 AM (in response to Ashiq)

You can simply overwrite the address using the same command but omitting the secondary keyword:

R1#sh run int fa0/0

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.200.200.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 10.5.5.5 255.255.255.0

end

R1#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

R1(config)#int fa0/0

R1(config-if)#ip address 10.200.200.1 255.255.255.0

R1(config-if)#do sh run int fa0/0

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.200.200.1 255.255.255.0

end

• Daniel 197 posts since
    Jul 21, 2011
    8. Apr 11, 2012 6:38 AM (in response to Sey)

Hi sey,

Good catch. Didn't know that the ip address xxx yyy command actually erased the secondary addresses as well. Always good to know, saves some time omitting the no-comands ,

• jonathan 5 posts since
    Jul 19, 2012
    9. Jul 19, 2012 7:41 AM (in response to Ashiq)

hi,

i would just add that if you're using secondary addresses on vlan interfaces (SVI's) then just keep in mind that you don't want your broadcast domain to get too big - each IP address represents a potential member of that broadcast domain. i have always looked to go no bigger than a /23 for a single broadcast domain.

i know cisco recommends only one IP subnet per Vlan, but that's not always practical depending on your needs.

-j

• LORDLY 2 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    10. Nov 15, 2012 6:27 AM (in response to Ashiq)

Hi All, have an similiar issue. I want to add secondary ip address on our upstream internet router, because our Cisco ASA Firewall has to public subnets, DMZ-EXT and OUTSIDE. These are trunked with sub-interfaces on the Cisco-ASA

Both subnets are advertised in OSPF and BGP. We have BGP Peer setup with our Provider. Provider is sending us a default route.

Is there any impact to adding the secondary ip address to an active IP Routed Interface.

Cisco-ASA is connected to internet router on primary subnet but through a DMZ switch

Again, Cisco ASA is setup as trunked, vlan-subinterfaces.

Let me know, Thanks

• David L. Brown 25 posts since
    Nov 29, 2009
    11. Nov 15, 2012 10:32 AM (in response to Ashiq)

I've used them in conjunction with setting up a DHCP superscope at some sites, where simply expanding IP address range wasn't possible because of how the network was previously subnetted (without any wiggle room for growth).  The secondary gateway was necessary to correctly route traffic to the site based on the new superscope IP addresses/subnets.

Dave

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)