Cisco Learning Home > CCNA Security Study Group > Discussions
858 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 1:06 PM by Gerard Weese RSS

Currently Being Moderated

640-553 still valid?

Mar 30, 2012 7:12 AM

ramaiya99 178 posts since
Jan 9, 2009

Hi

I have some old CCNA security books for the 640-553 exam. I was going to take this after my voice but have been told that Cisco are going to retire this exam. Am I still able to take this exam before it is officially retired or would I need to purchase the new set.

Regards

• Elvin Arias 1,828 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010
    1. Mar 30, 2012 7:19 AM (in response to ramaiya99)
    Re: 640-553 still valid?

You can take it before to september 30, 2012. Materials are still valid for 640-553 exam, and for the newer version materials are not still available, they are still on development.

Elvin

• Gerard Weese 220 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010
    3. Apr 4, 2012 1:06 PM (in response to ramaiya99)
    Re: 640-553 still valid?

ramaiya99 wrote:

Thanks Elvin

I have started studing for this and have a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall for my lab. Do you thick I will need any other lab equipment?

Thanks

there is not a lot of material in the 640-553 regarding configuring Cisco ASA's as they are different. for the Topics of VPN, Firewalls, and IPS; AAA, Router and Switch Hardening the questions will pertain to the Cisco IOS implementations of these technologies. The material will expect you to know how ASA's and devices like TACACS+ will work in a "Secure Network Platform." But they won't expect you to configure them, as ASA's use a different Graphical program and the thrust of this test focuses on SDM. You should review the Syllabus for 1.0 of this test carefully available here to make sure you making the most use of your time. And I highly recommend the Catherine Parquet book from Cisco Press, It is very good.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4989

I also recommend a lot of practice with the SDM application, there are ways to get access to it with GNS3

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)