Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Service Provider (CCIP) Retired > ROUTE Exam > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
568 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 6:06 PM by Paul Stewart - CCIE Security, CCSI RSS

Currently Being Moderated

NATURE OF FRAME RELAY NETWORK AFFECTING OSPF

Mar 23, 2012 8:03 AM

NABEELNASIR 7 posts since
Mar 16, 2012

In case of OPSF NBMA (FR and ATM) network types , we define network types as NMBA (dont support broadcast traffic , and hence using ospf unicast network statements  ) and Broadcast type (requires enabling ospf like ethernet type ) . What differenve does it make for the service provider providing ATM or FR service to support broadcast traffic or nor over his ATM or FR cloud ? I mean he can define one DLCI as broadcast DLCI and configure FR switches as that when they receive this broadcast DLCI they will forward out at all configured DLCIs under the broascast group .

Some service provider also supports point to multipoint PVC , one PVC connecting to multiple PVC (not like point to multipoint network type) . Correct Me if i am wrong . So again  What difference does it make for the service provider providing ATM or FR service to support broadcast traffic or not over FR or ATM cloud ?

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security, CCSI 6,989 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 23, 2012 6:06 PM (in response to NABEELNASIR)
    Re: NATURE OF FRAME RELAY NETWORK AFFECTING OSPF

The support or lack thereof for broadcast really doesn't exist in the SP cloud, but the L3 endpoints doing the encapsulation. When the Layer 3 to Layer 2 mapping is created, it is created in a way that tells the RTR to also encapsulate broadcast with the particular dlci. So from L2 it's not truly broadcast, but that's how it works. If you have multiple vc's defined as broadcast, there are typically multiple frames created per single broadcast/multicast packet. So they typically support it, but all of your gear may not. There may be some other perspectives on this from those that have more ATM experience.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)