_Communities

1400 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 4:12 PM by Rajiv Kumar RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Career - Testing Vs Network Engineer

Mar 20, 2012 11:41 AM

ganesh 9 posts since
Jan 28, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I've completed CCNP two days back and I thank all who posted their queries and responses, which actually made my learning so broader.

Here I come to the part in which I was confused a lot.

I'm from India. Currently I work as Testing Lead in an NMS(network management software) testing for the last, almost, 7 years. But when I started preparing for Cisco certifications I find myself more involved in doing configurations and troubleshooting the devices with great passion. And I really wanted to move my career towards that.

But I dont know how to proceed, whether the companies will accept my profile with testing background to a network engineer.

Some of my friends advice, why do I want to waste my testing eperience(this 7 years) and they want me to keep going in the same field.

Apart from this I also have little concern, how my growth will be in my new career?

whether i have to sacrifice my current salary to lesser in the initial periods? But am ready for this too, because I love to do this job and hoping that my new career growth will be really a better one than what i'll be getting from testing path.

Please provide you suggestions and advices on how can I proceed. I'll be grateful for your suggestions.

Thanks,

Ganesh.

• Rajiv Kumar 217 posts since
    Jan 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 20, 2012 4:12 PM (in response to ganesh)
    Re: Career - Testing Vs Network Engineer

Hi Ganesh,

I am in the same situation. I have been working as a System admin for last 5 years. Working with Windows, Servers, AD, Vmware, Citrix. A year back I found another job where I work with a little part of cisco (Changing vlans, and ports and failover to other careers stuff) and I really liked it. That made me learn more about cisco so now I am studying for ccent.

yes, i understand the salary will not be juicy anymore because of the experience but for the long run, it will be better in case we get to ccie level.

I always wanted to go towards cisco but that didn't happen, may be this is the time. Lets see if this will help me. I already have a job and I am studying for cisco, dont know where it will take me but I stopped thinking about negativity and moving towards cisco more and more. I want to be expert in one thing.

What I think about Cisco -

Cisco is a ladder where I will go up and up.

What I think about Microsoft -

A tree and I can't jump from one branch to another like a monkey eventhough I act like one as a system admin.

Good luck!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)