_Communities

852 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2012 2:57 PM by Martin RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Suggestions for new CCNP Voice Lab

Feb 29, 2012 12:34 AM

Robert Rittenhouse 11 posts since
Jun 22, 2010

Hello,

I am starting the process of studying my CCNA and taking the voice track up to CCNP Voice. I want to start on my lab now so it will be more feasible when that time comes. I am reading that I will need to go the route of IOS 15.x on newer routers (28XX?).

I am basically looking for suggestions on what types of devices I should keep an eye out for. I have been looking for some 3550's but I am unsure how much I should be paying for them and how many i'll need. I keep reading endless threads that seem to not talk about this "new" test or whatever. Can you get away with using IOS 12.x and CME/CUCM 7 or is it too risky?

I just wish Cisco would publish some lists of gear that you can purchase (old and new) so it made this process a lot less stressful.

I've thought about going virtual but I want as real of an environment as I can (but I am not completely closed to using some GNS3 and some physical).

Thanks a lot

• Martin 13,071 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    1. Feb 29, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to Robert Rittenhouse)
    Re: Suggestions for new CCNP Voice Lab

yes, you need one of 2800s router, like small 2801;

c3550 SMI or EMI switch is good one,

start with CCNA, before Voice, you can do CCNA with Packet tracer and gns3. then when u done, real gear, old and used, will be even more cheaper than it is now;

IOS 12 and CME 7 are still OK for some basic telephony stuff;  not sure about  how much CME 8 is there on exam.

good luck.

Jan 16, 2009
    3. Feb 29, 2012 9:12 AM (in response to Robert Rittenhouse)

only few people have passed new Voice and they are nopt talking;

by the time you get CCNA, we should know more;

since you already have 2801, look for IOS 15 fot it; make sure you have 256 MB RAM and flash big enough to hold images (15 + old one just in case)

Jan 16, 2009
    5. Feb 29, 2012 2:57 PM (in response to Robert Rittenhouse)

it comes with PVDM;

yes, 384 MB for adv. enterprise IOS ; at least have 256 RAM (256 for c2801-ipvoicek9-mz.151-1.T.bin)

see and serach by platform selecting 2801

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)