_Communities

This Question is Answered
1472 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 9:51 PM by Sebastian RSS

Currently Being Moderated

CCNA OR CCENT

Feb 16, 2012 5:03 AM

Applause 12 posts since
Feb 16, 2012

I'm looking into acquiring ccna certification and progress to other levels but I'm wondering if I have to do ccent first or can I start off with ccna.

• Sebastian 241 posts since
    Jul 15, 2011
    1. Feb 16, 2012 5:42 AM (in response to Applause)
    Re: CCNA OR CCENT

Hi Applause,

Firstly, welcome to the CLN. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your time with us.

You can most certainly jump straight to CCNA, but I think it will depend both on your level of experience and your ability to take tests. The CCNA composite exam is considered by many to be a little harder than the two individual exams.

Not because of the content, but just because of the relatively short time in which you have to complete the exams.

If you have the time and resources to complete two exams instead of one, perhaps going the CCENT > CCNA route might be better.

Either way, good luck with your certification jourbney, it's a fun one!

Cheers

Sebastian

• bav 73 posts since
    Jan 18, 2012
    2. Feb 16, 2012 6:11 AM (in response to Sebastian)

I would like to do CCNA Discovery at Net Acad but can't find anywhere reputable near me that does it. I have found 2 universities that do Explorer so if I done that could I still sit the exams sperately and not the composite one?

Jul 15, 2011
    3. Feb 16, 2012 6:14 AM (in response to bav)

Don't see why not :-)

Cheers

Sebastian

• Rigo - Community Moderator 4,658 posts since
    Feb 9, 2009
    4. Feb 16, 2012 10:01 AM (in response to Applause)

Hi Applause,

If you are pursuing the CCNA certification, you are not required to take the 640-822 ICND1(CCENT) exam. You can go directly to take the 640-802 CCNA Composite exam if you desire.

Depending on your preference and current knowledge/skills of the exam topic materials towards CCNA, you have the option to take the ICND1 640-822 and ICND2 640-816 exams OR you can take the CCNA Composite exam 640-802. The CCNA Composite exam is a combination of both ICND1 and ICND2.

By taking the two exam option, you will achieve the CCENT certification (passing ICND1) and CCNA certification (passing both ICND1 and ICND2). However, passing the 640-802 CCNA exam will only certify you in CCNA.

To help you prepare for the ICND1, ICND2 or CCNA Composite exam, it's advisable to check out the Study/Learn page in the Cisco Learning Network. You will find recommended training and additional resources such as Quick Learning Modules, Study Documents, etc.

Good luck and welcome to the Cisco Learning Network!

Regards,

Rigo

Cisco Learning Network Moderator

• Martin 13,070 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    7. Feb 16, 2012 9:28 PM (in response to Applause)

ICND1 (exam 640-822)  is also called CCENT now.

so ICND1 or CCENT + ICND2 = CCNA;

Go with CCENT first; it is easier to study and to pass (especially if u don't have experience taking certification exams).

Less to memorize, less to worry about; Less to swallow.

• Martin 13,070 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    9. Feb 16, 2012 9:41 PM (in response to Applause)

forgot, remember there is no saving questions or going back on any Cisco exams.

if u have not pick up books yet; I suggest ones from by Wendell Odom from Cisco Press. The author visits here from time to time and answers questions;

His latest editions are 3rd ones but 2nd is also good and should be cheap now since 3rd one is out.   He also has Simulator that you could use along with his books;

Otherwise, Packet tracer is OK.

Jul 15, 2011
    11. Feb 16, 2012 9:51 PM (in response to Applause)

Yes.

You can either go:

640-822 + 640-816 = CCNA, or;

640-802 = CCNA.

I agree with Martin. It might be better to take the CCENT > CCNA route.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)