Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > CCIP Study Group > Discussions
1936 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2012 12:43 AM by Joshua Johnson - CCNP R&S RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Real-World experienc!!!  Wha dye do today ???

Feb 16, 2012 3:34 AM

arnoldlane 2 posts since
Sep 13, 2010

Hi All

I have been studying Cisco for 18 months now and have picked up my CCENT. CCNA .CCNP  and am about to embark on my CCIP . Although I have a decent setup at home and have tried to get as much "Hands-on" experience I am only too aware that Tshooting a Lab cannot pass for "Real-world" experience ....

I have found that the only Tshooting I get is in configuration .That is !There is a bad config and the Lab will not work from the start . The jobs market in my country is non existant at the moment and Volunteering is not an option as I live in a remote part of the country   Anyhow

What I was hoping was to get some advice on what types of problems would a Network Engineer face in their daily jobs ?  What I mean is would most of the time be devoted to monitoring network traffic ?  Are the majority of problems hardware based ? Cpu/memory  resources ? How much time would you  actually spend on the CLI ? What problems have you encountered that have had you Stumped and what were the solutions . What are the tasks that you find are a pain in the neck etc ?

How did the job/duties differ from what your expectations were ?

I know its hard to sum up even a days work in one post but I am just trying to get a general idea of what the overall duties of the Cisco Network Profesional would entail . Any sharing of your experience in Real-world scenarios would be very much appreciated as I think it may be a while before I get to follow my goal So all I can do is keep on keeping-on with the study till things pick up.

I know the last thing you would want to do after a hard day at the office is log it down for someone else to read so I dont mind If you want to use this topic let off some steam. As it will help me either way to get an understanding of what the life of a network engineer is like

Thanks in Advance

Arnold

• Conwyn 7,907 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    1. Feb 16, 2012 1:01 PM (in response to arnoldlane)
    Re: Real-World experienc!!! Wha dye do today ???

Hi Arnold

This was my day. Ordered Smartnet maintenance. Check Video conference equipment. Logged onto two routers and checked definitions. Went to meeting with network provider. Add SNMP statements to a switch. Had a meeting with other network engineers. Tested a TAPI connection to Salesforce.com. Logged onto Cisco Call Manager. Logged onto Call Manager Express.

Regards Conwyn

• Ray 6 posts since
    Feb 16, 2010
    2. Feb 17, 2012 9:01 AM (in response to arnoldlane)

I don't think there is a 'typical' day. Depends on the type of company and the type of work you are doing. If you don't have experience you are not able to specialize. Once you get in somewhere you can become an expert in that type of business.

I suggest doing things differently. Design your own lab layout and get it working or (try to) discover an existing topology without a diagram. Rather than repeat more step by step lab simulations. For troubleshooting, try unplugging things and see what happens. Try configuring from memory and troubleshoot from there. In real world its usually things failing, congestion or someones mistake thats causes problems. Familiarilty with the network is needed for finding the problem. If you know your way arround lots of network types and can figure out the flow of data, you can troubleshoot them

Once you get a foot in the door you will get your experience. To start you have to take whatever you can get and work from there. There are a lot of opportunites in support and help desk, its a good place to start

• murphyslaww 78 posts since
    Nov 25, 2009
    3. Feb 17, 2012 3:37 PM (in response to arnoldlane)

I'm a tier below network engineer, as a CCNA network analyst in a Network Operations Center, but a large part of what get's troubleshot in a commercial circuit for a SP, tends to be the same types of things that you find in lab issues. We see a lot of configuration mismatches like port speed, MTU, VLAN, and a lot of Client education as to what they can and can't do with a circuit, generally related to perfomance monitoring of their circuit.

Lot's of maintenance window work, RMA's, TAC cases, and forcing traffic to redundant paths, and updating IOS, etc.

• Joshua Johnson - CCNP R&S 5,194 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009
    5. Apr 2, 2012 12:40 AM (in response to murphyslaww)

Network Analyst for you is Network Engineer to me, depends on where you work on the terms used.

murphyslaww wrote:

I'm a tier below network engineer, as a CCNA network analyst in a Network Operations Center, but a large part of what get's troubleshot in a commercial circuit for a SP, tends to be the same types of things that you find in lab issues. We see a lot of configuration mismatches like port speed, MTU, VLAN, and a lot of Client education as to what they can and can't do with a circuit, generally related to perfomance monitoring of their circuit.

Lot's of maintenance window work, RMA's, TAC cases, and forcing traffic to redundant paths, and updating IOS, etc.

• Joshua Johnson - CCNP R&S 5,194 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009
    6. Apr 2, 2012 12:43 AM (in response to arnoldlane)

Well if you have a position that deals with pretty much pure network engineering, all you have to do is look at the Exam topics for CCNA and CCNP (for me) and that's what I do, I'm a lucky lucky dog...

Recently I designed an intersite IPv6 deployment, and I'm in the works of dealing with company organizations using their own netgear switches and mapping out their poorly constructed networks, cabling from our Cisco infrastructure and taping those cables to their current cables that are comming from their Netgears so I can schedule a switchover form their netgears to our Cisco infrastructure...

They ask me, "what's wrong with the network?"  Well you are using netgear, what do you think is wrong... that's not really the answer, but the problem is my troubleshooting ability is severly deminished as there aren't any management and troubleshooting capabilities with good ol netgear...

I've also recently implemented Cisco ACS and AAA for our infrastructure in our local site and am actively training our Enterasys engineers in Cisco to increase their exporsure to Cisco as we are going to be replacing their enterasys infrastructure in the near future...

Keeping up with my documentation to make sure all changes are recorded, troubleshooting etc....  I could go on forever.  It's the life!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)