1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2012 11:34 AM by Jeremy M. RSS

ROAS not working in home lab

Jeremy M.

Hey all,

I'm having trouble with a router on a stick config.  It seems so simple I don't know why I can't get it to work.  Anyways,  I have 2610xm connected to a 2950 and the current configs are not working.  I can ping the default gateway from a host but that is as far as I can get.  Its weird too, with the 2950 you can only have one VLAN up, up at a time...?.?!  I am going to attach my configs to see if you guys can help, thanks in advance .  Oh yeah, I am trying to ping 192.168.20.1 ( vlan 20) gateway or host on that subnet/vlan from 192.168.10.25 (vlan 10) and it isn't working. Please help!! Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
          tnewshott

I think you're missing the point of ROAS.....all L3 interfaces should reside on the router, save for one L3 IP on the L2 switch for management purposes.

With that said, you need to set the switch port's uplink to the router as a trunk, and define the L2 instance of VLANs 10 and 20 on the switch.  Since 10 and 20 are already tagged on the router you need to ensure they are tagged by the switch, which means you need to leave VLAN1 as native on the 2950.

Also, you need to include the 192.168.10.0 and 192.168.20.0 networks under RIP, if you wish RIP to route between the subnets.

• 2. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
            Jeremy M.

I get the point; I've set it up in packet tracer and it works fine, just not on my equipment.  I am trying to do intervlan routing with a router connected to a switch.  The L2 instances are defined.  Vlan1 is the native vlan. I'll check out the rip thing. Thanks

• 3. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
              Jeremy M.

I added the sub int networks in rip.  It still doesnt work.  Anything else?

• 4. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                just plain old Kev

what are you getting when you run: sh int trunk on the switch?

• 5. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                  just plain old Kev

I dropped your configs in packet tracer...change int fa0/12 to speed and duplex auto, it cant negotiate.

• 6. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                    Jeremy M.

Hey man,

I have fa0/11 trunked to the router, fa/12 is trunked to another switch.  Sorry I should have mentioned that.  Plus there are two router plugged into the switch, the default gateway 192.168.1.1 is trunked to fa0/1.  I'm probably not following the standard on which ports to use.  Umm, in packet tracer I just used one switch and one router and it works.  I don't know man, I really think it might be my IOS or something.  Wish I knew, thanks for looking at it.

• 7. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                      Jeremy M.

oh yeah, sh int tr show that fa0/11 and fa/12 are trunked with dot1q.

• 8. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                        tnewshott

Can you provide the output of the following commands on the switch?

show vlan

show interface trunk

show cdp nei

show ip int brie | e notc

Thanks!

• 9. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                          Jeremy M.

sure...one sec...thanks!

• 10. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                            Jeremy M.

Thanks man, I switched the link to the ROAS router to the second switch trunked off the first one...i was trying whatever I could.  So 2 2950s trunked, the first

one connected to a gateway router the second is connected to the ROAS.  Trunking and VTP seem to be working fine.  Thanks for the help.

MurrSwtch1>en
                            Password:
                            MurrSwtch1#sh vlan

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
                            ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
                            1    default                          active    Fa0/1, Fa0/4, Fa0/5, Fa0/6
                                                                            Fa0/7, Fa0/8, Fa0/9, Fa0/10
                                                                            Fa0/11
                            10   10                               active    Fa0/2
                            20   20                               active    Fa0/3
                            30   ENGINEERING                      active
                            50   VLAN0050                         active
                            1002 fddi-default                     act/unsup
                            1003 token-ring-default               act/unsup
                            1004 fddinet-default                  act/unsup
                            1005 trnet-default                    act/unsup

VLAN Type  SAID       MTU   Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp  BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2
                            ---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------
                            1    enet  100001     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            10   enet  100010     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            20   enet  100020     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            30   enet  100030     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            50   enet  100050     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            1002 fddi  101002     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0

1003 tr    101003     1500  -      -      -        -    srb      0      0
                            1004 fdnet 101004     1500  -      -      -        ieee -        0      0
                            1005 trnet 101005     1500  -      -      -        ibm  -        0      0

Remote SPAN VLANs
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Secondary Type              Ports
                            ------- --------- ----------------- ------------------------------------------

MurrSwtch1#sh int trunk

Port        Mode         Encapsulation  Status        Native vlan
                            Fa0/12      on           802.1q         trunking      1

Port      Vlans allowed on trunk
                            Fa0/12      1-4094

Port        Vlans allowed and active in management domain
                            Fa0/12      1,10,20,30,50

Port        Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
                            MurrSwtch1#sh cdp nei
                            Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                                              S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID
                            MURRSwitch2      Fas 0/12           177          S I      WS-C2950-1Fas 0/12
                            MURRouter1       Fas 0/1            151           R       3640      Fas 0/0
                            MurrSwtch1#sh ip int brie |e?
                            % Unrecognized command
                            MurrSwtch1#sh ip int brie |e notc
                                                       ^
                            % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

MurrSwtch1#sh ip int brie | e?
                            exclude

MurrSwtch1#sh ip int brie | e notc
                            Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
                            Vlan1                      192.168.1.10    YES NVRAM  up                    up
                            FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
                            FastEthernet0/2            unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
                            FastEthernet0/3            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/4            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/5            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/6            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/7            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/8            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/9            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/10           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/11           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/12           unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
                            MurrSwtch1#

The link to the router on a stick is on the second switch that is trunked from fa0/12(switch1).

Here is the second switchs info:

MURRSwitch2>en
                            Password:
                            MURRSwitch2#sh vlan

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
                            ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
                            1    default                          active    Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5
                                                                            Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8, Fa0/11
                            10   10                               active    Fa0/10
                            20   20                               active    Fa0/9
                            30   ENGINEERING                      active
                            50   VLAN0050                         active
                            1002 fddi-default                     act/unsup
                            1003 token-ring-default               act/unsup
                            1004 fddinet-default                  act/unsup
                            1005 trnet-default                    act/unsup

1    enet  100001     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            10   enet  100010     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            20   enet  100020     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            30   enet  100030     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            50   enet  100050     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            1002 fddi  101002     1500  -      -      -        -    -        0      0
                            1003 tr    101003     1500  -      -      -        -    srb      0      0

1004 fdnet 101004     1500  -      -      -        ieee -        0      0
                            1005 trnet 101005     1500  -      -      -        ibm  -        0      0

Remote SPAN VLANs
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Secondary Type              Ports
                            ------- --------- ----------------- ------------------------------------------

MURRSwitch2#sh int tru

Port        Mode         Encapsulation  Status        Native vlan
                            Fa0/1       on           802.1q         trunking      1
                            Fa0/12      on           802.1q         trunking      1

Port      Vlans allowed on trunk
                            Fa0/1       1-4094
                            Fa0/12      1-4094

Port        Vlans allowed and active in management domain
                            Fa0/1       1,10,20,30,50

Port        Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
                            Fa0/1       1,10,20,30,50
                            MURRSwitch2#sh cdp ne
                            MURRSwitch2#sh cdp neighbors
                            Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                                              S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID
                            MURRouterOAS     Fas 0/1            148         R S I     2610XM    Fas 0/0
                            MurrSwtch1       Fas 0/12           121          S I      WS-C2950-1Fas 0/12
                            MURRSwitch2#sh ip int brief | e notc
                            Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
                            Vlan1                      192.168.1.11    YES NVRAM  up                    up
                            FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
                            FastEthernet0/2            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/3            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/4            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/5            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/6            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/7            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/8            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/9            unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/10           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/11           unassigned      YES unset  down                  down
                            FastEthernet0/12           unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
                            MURRSwitch2#

• 11. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                              tnewshott

Try moving the IP you have on the router physical interface to Fa0/0.1, and set "encap dot1q 1 native".  Then make sure the physical interface is blank other than "no shut" and the duplex/speed settings.

• 12. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                                Jeremy M.

so make another sub interface FA0/0.1?

• 13. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                                  Jeremy M.

MURRouterOAS#sh ip int b

FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES manual up                    up

FastEthernet0/0.1          192.168.1.2     YES manual up                    up

FastEthernet0/0.10         192.168.10.1    YES manual up                    up

FastEthernet0/0.20         192.168.20.1    YES manual up                    up

This is what I did: plus I did the encap command...had to do: encapsulation dot1q 1 ?

Still didn't work...but thanks anyways.   I dunno man...if i can ping the default gateway of the vlan i'm in...but thats it.

• 14. Re: ROAS not working in home lab
                                    tnewshott

So what does your RIP config look like on the router now? 

1 2 Previous Next