Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Design (CCDP) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
2541 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2012 11:33 PM by venomriser RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Removing vlan from port channel

Jan 24, 2012 9:32 AM

venomriser 11 posts since
Dec 23, 2008

Hi,

I tried to remove a legacy vlan from a particular port channel when I was working on a clean up project for  "vlan 12" . This vlan was configured through the port channel between 2 switches. One switch was the MDF distribution switch(SW A)  and another IDF distibution switch (SW B). Port 25 and 26 (both ends) was bundled to the port channel (po1).

When i initiated the command for port 25 on SW B  e.g. " switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,11" removing vlan 12, I was no longer accessible to it. The session got me kicked out and i was no longer able to ping i. I was then disconnected to it and switch might have been hung. I'm not sure what exactly caused the issue but I feel I should have unbundled the port from the port channel before removing vlan 12 from each individual port.

What i suspect was a vlan negotiation problem wihtin the port channel. Is that we need to unbundle the port channel, then, remove the vlan from it and move forward to remove from each individual port? I havent tested this on a lab and would like an advice for anybody face a similar issue.

Thank you.

Regards, venomriser

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 24, 2012 1:40 PM (in response to venomriser)
    Re: Removing vlan from port channel

Was your management done via Vlan12? If so...that would be a problem. 

Ideally if you want to remove a VLAN from a port channel, you remove it from the port channel interface. This will then propogate down to the physical interfaces.

If you remove it from the physical interfaces first, your port configurations will no longer match the port channel interface configuration, and the ports will be unbundled. Typically this results in one going into blocking via spanning tree.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)