Cisco Learning Home > IT Careers > Discussions

_Communities

1931 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2012 5:32 PM by Jared RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Layer 8 of the OSI Model Blog - Great Read

Jan 11, 2012 1:07 PM

Brett Lovins, Community Manager 2,331 posts since
Oct 19, 2011

Finally got a minute to read Jared's blog around Layer 8 of the OSI model. I'm a aspiring ICND1 student so when I read the title... I thought, uh oh, another more sophisticated layer that I didn't know about. Yikes.

What it is actually is an EXCELLENT look at how to comport one self in the job world. I will be thinking about Layer 8 a whole lot going forward. If only I'd read this in my early years when I was building websites for people.

Great read! No technical aptitude required to get a lot out of it.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/vip-perspectives/2012/01/07/ever-heard-of-layer-8

Brett

• Rob 423 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

Interesting perspective - so really it all comes back to (corporate) politics in the end.

• Jared 5,498 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    3. Jan 11, 2012 5:32 PM (in response to Rob)
    Re: Layer 8 of the OSI Model Blog - Great Read

Hi Rob.  Unfortunately, you can't totally get away from the corporate politics.  I have tried for years.  So I finally decided to take a different approach and help the decision makers feel the outcome of their own decisions.  Going through consequences of choices is the best learning experience out there.  Trust me, I am not a pro at Layer 8.  But, due to my job, I have had no choice but to play that role.  The more I can help people understand, the better off we all are.  Seeing the "light bulb" turn on really does make it worth it.

That blog was all about my personal learning and experiences with Layer 8 and the lessons I learned... sometimes painful lessons and I am still learning.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)