Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNP) > Discussions

_Communities

1891 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2011 9:18 AM by tnewshott RSS 1 2 Previous Next

Currently Being Moderated

How do you know you are ready for the ROUTE exam ?

Dec 2, 2011 1:33 PM

John 2,289 posts since
Jan 17, 2009

Hi

I know there is no real answer to this question but I thought I would ask why some of you think you are ready for the ROUTE exam ?

When I did my CCENT, CCNA R&S and CCNA Wireless I knew when I was ready because I got bored reading the same stuff and going over the same questions from Boson etc etc. However, with ROUTE I find it so different, this subject is so large I find that when I finish fine tuning the last chapter of the book I am weak again on the first part. For me, working long hours and 7 days a week most times does not help obviously.

Personally, I am going over the Boson questions now which I find very helpful and even if I get the question correct; the explanation from Boson why the in-correct answers are in-correct are a great help. At some point I have to make a decision and just go for it because no matter how much I read, how many labs I do, there is always something I come across I get wrong.

Before Xmas for me would be nice, if i fail then so be it, i can't keep studying and studying.

Regards

John

• Martin 13,075 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    1. Dec 2, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to John)
    Re: How do you know you are ready for the ROUTE exam ?

you don't know; just feels like you are ready, go for it;

you never will be 100% sure; those who are over confident, they fail,

• Stephen 488 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    2. Dec 2, 2011 1:48 PM (in response to John)

When I studied for the exam, I read half of the foundation book as well as the main book.  I also read a LOT of ccie blogs (they are truely the best way to learn in my opinion.  I particularly like the INE one.  It's got shed loads on!).  But after all the reading I flew onto GNS and configured every possibly feature I could think of lol.  I can't tell ya how much fun I had manipulating routes!  There is so much stuff that won't work when you think it will, and by configuring it in GNS you can spot loads of problems and learn everything better.

After I spent a good 3-4 weeks labbing/asking questions on this forums about stuff I couldn't get working or didnt understand, I then did loads of practise questions for about 2 weeks.  Ended up with a very nice mark

This way worked for me.  Hopefully it will for you too

• bogdan 4 posts since
    Apr 3, 2009
    3. Dec 4, 2011 1:26 AM (in response to John)

Right there with you pal. I'm also trying to get my CCNP R&S. Even took a week vacation to study R&S alone. What I do is, after each new chapter, I take out my iPhone on which I have the "CCNP R&S Flashcards" application and take a random quizz, just to see if I grasp concepts from previous chapters.

Good luck on the exam.

• Natraj Babaria 829 posts since
    Jul 20, 2011
    4. Dec 4, 2011 1:43 AM (in response to John)

Hi John,

First understand the theory and then jump on to the practicle start doing on GNS3 and once you have enough confidence you can go for exam.

Thanks & Regards,

Natraj Babaria

• Sebastian 241 posts since
    Jul 15, 2011
    5. Dec 4, 2011 1:46 AM (in response to John)

Like everyone else said, you just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best.

I can relate to your dilemma with working long hours and niot having as much time for studying as you would like.

Personally, once I start I usually don't stop until I reach my goal, in this case I went from CCNA straight into ROUTE, straight into SWITCH, and then straight into CCIE written (doing TSHOOT next week). I do this because of a) the way I study, b) the subject matter usually kind of leads into the next thing, and c) getting as much as possible done while I am in that "study mode". Because getting back in after a break is a pain!

Go for it mate, I'm sure you will nail it!

Cheers

Sebastian

South Africa

• rtbauer05 220 posts since
    Sep 9, 2010
    6. Dec 6, 2011 9:28 AM (in response to John)

Agreeing with the others, when I took the Route exam I felt very confident. I went through all the relevant topics and did all the relevent labs on GNS3vault.com Once I was able to nail those without any or very minor hiccups I went and took the exam. I passed. So I guess it worked.

• Rickey 1,062 posts since
    Jul 3, 2008
    7. Dec 6, 2011 10:21 AM (in response to John)

I know for me personally I go over the exam topics to see if I can at least talk about or remember key things just from reading the exam topics.

• Currently Being Moderated
    9. Dec 6, 2011 4:57 PM (in response to John)

Hi John.

I agree with Rickey.  You know youare ready when you can expain the technology toic in detail to someone else. Good luck on your exam.

Erick

• Sebastian 241 posts since
    Jul 15, 2011
    10. Dec 6, 2011 7:42 PM (in response to Erick)

Hehe! I actually do this too, in my car on my way to work (a 60-minute drive), talking to myself like a mad person. I love the expression on he people's faces when they look at me in their rear-view mirror talking to myself. They always try and avoid eye-contact...

Sebastian

South Africa

• Hi Sebastian

I woudn't worry about it too much.  With technology like handsfree devices for celluar phones, most people probably just think you are talking on the cell using a hands-free device.

Erick

• bogdan 4 posts since
    Apr 3, 2009
    12. Dec 7, 2011 4:42 AM (in response to Erick)

Hi ErickB,

I'm not so sure I agree with "You know you are ready when you can expain the technology toic in detail to someone else", because, as we all know, Cisco exam questions are not in the form: "What is the command to change the amount of Bw EIGRP uses ?", but more like "You have 1 physical interface with 3 point-to-point interfaces and 1 multipoint, with different CIRs. What Bw should you apply and where should you apply it.". The second one is beyond basic concepts, and it's covered maybe in 1 sentence out of about 900 pages of documentation.

The best advice I can think of is to do all the Cisco practice questions, anywhere you can find them, because a big part of passing the exam is paying attention to the question syntax.

• Currently Being Moderated
    13. Dec 7, 2011 4:49 AM (in response to bogdan)

Hi bogdan

Well, I didn't say every single detail.  No one will know everything.  I just said in detail. The CCNP exams go into a lot more detail about the subject matter than the CCNA did.  With regards to the ROUTE exam, I would expect that the level of detailed knowledge needed to pass the exam is much greater than at the CCNA level.  That's why I said, "explain in detail".

Erick

• Efx 629 posts since
    Jun 26, 2010
    14. Dec 7, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to bogdan)

I agree with ErickB for sure.

If you can't explain how this technology works to other people, if you don't know this stuff works... Then nobody care's , what certificates you have and which answer you choose on your exam.

Certificates are just a paper, that you passed and so on...

Just real-life experience  will make you a better engineer...

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)