14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2011 5:29 PM by Rigo - Community Moderator RSS

CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

Hello All,

while taking overview of Dougles Comer TCP/IP, Interconnections: Bridges, Routers, Switches, and Internetworking Protocols (2nd Edition) books,

i am thinking frequently that Are these books really required to read before going further to study Core Tech for CCIE? because these are huge books and going very deep and deep at very low level.?

so in between i used to think that why need to put much time on low level topics and also its very diffficult to remember how frames, packets, segments flow through TCP/IP layers and how data encapsulation works, how header, trailers edited while encapsulating and etc,,, so again why to take tension of these areas because its not in our hand and lets let them work as they want.... and go ahead and learn core tech topics and thats it....

I have some basic idea about these but thouroughly i will not able to explain or i am thinking, its not important also because we are the users/implementers of protocols so we should have knowledge of behaviour of routing protocol in different scenarios and how STP works, how Load balancing protocols works, what are functions of switching topics, when to use? when not to use? and this is what CCIE LAB expecting from us

so going in deep and read how each layer works and other related topics, its not much requred. this is what i am thinking and trying to ignore low level knowledge books.

please share your approach towards CCIE Lab.

Message was edited by: rocky

• 1. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

Think about this, if Cisco puts it in the training area they are probley going to ask you questions on it. If you dont know how the packets work how can you fully trouble shoot the network to see where the problem is at. That is why everything is important in the CCIE exam since you need to know it all.

• 2. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

Hi Rocky

It is an exam not reality. So if Cisco includes it in the blue print then it is fair you learn it.  All the CCIE proves it you have completed a training task. You may never use it again and 90% of your work may never be covered by the CCIE training.

Regards Conwyn

• 3. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge
              Antonio Knox - CCNP R&S, CCNA R&S/Sec

I'm no CCIE, but I do know that core topics and the "understanding how it works" in a general sense will only get you as far as dealing with 'study guide level' issues.  Many times, when dealing with problem situations that are not 'textbook' you will find that low level knowledge, even if it's not at an expert degree is critical.  I wish that I had focused exclusively on TCP/IP concepts prior to diving into certificate level topics.  I found that after CCNA and afterward getting exposed to real world environments I really needed to get to the basics.  It helped immensly in my journey to future certifications and (most importantly) jobs.

It can help you solve the mystery issues that don't have a 'shoot from the hip' solution, or at least put you in a situation in which you can point yourself to the proper reference material if you need it.  There's nothing worse than spendin 45 min to an hour working on an issue only to realize that your approach was incorrect from the get go and having to start over again.  The way I see it, if it's in Cisco docs learn it or at least get some level of grasp of it in case one day you may need it.  These books are usually written by people who have been in the field and have a good idea of what to expect and what you MAY possibly encounter, and want you to be prepared for that.

• 4. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

Indeed - if it is not on the blueprint why learn it for the exam?

• 5. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

It's all about the basics!

• 6. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

but how we can remember small small points of the basic or after reading if we understand but could not remember exact process of behaviour and points, is this ok?

• 7. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge
                      Antonio Knox - CCNP R&S, CCNA R&S/Sec

I don't think that anyone is expected to memorize every exact detail that they read in these books, you just need to be able to put things into context and know where to start and how to progress from that point during your investigation/troubleshooting.  They become second nature with practice over time.

Everyone has a way of doing it, you just have to find your nook.  Besides, you'll never know how much you really know or remember until circumstances force you to recall it.  You'd be amazed how much you retain without realizing it.  It's hard to see for yourself how much you've learned by just asking yourself questions or repeating the same review questions or book labs repeatedly.  Application of knowledge is the best means of evaluation.  Fire up GNS3 or something and challenge yourself with some labs if you're unsure.  I'd give you some links to some great GNS3 labs but I can't due to Cisco policy so just search Google.

Just keep at it and trust that you can get it down.  If another person in this world has done it, there's no reason you can't.

• 8. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

Do you have to be a CCNA before becoming a CCIE?  I'm new to networking and need some help as to which basic courses to concentrate on first.  Thanks!

• 9. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

You are dead on about never knowing how much you've remembered until something happens.  I don't try to remember EVERY small detail but I make sure to know how the small stuff fit into the BIG picture... I apply a holistic learning approach to my studies.

• 10. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

I don't believe you have to be CCNA certified to take CCIE but you have to be CCNA and CCNP certified to have CCIE certification status. 

• 11. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

@ Sherman - You can take the CCIE and have the number (if you pass written and lab) without any other Cisco exams - the CCIE is the only exam not to require a prerequisite. This is because the CCIE was the first exam Cisco brought out (1993).

@Rocky - time served is also a huge part of it. It goes without saying that the longer you spend in the field the more you will pick up and learn. I know plenty of awesome engineer who can fix any problems in minutes, yet ask them the differece between one 6500 SUP and another, they would struggle. I got caught up in this trap thinking i should know ALL the small differences in every switch/router. Great to know all the fact - but it is not going to help me get my number!

• 12. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge
                                Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security

There is no prerequisite to entering into the CCIE process.  The process includes taking a written exam to qualify to take the lab.  Once you pass the lab, you will be a CCIE.  There is no prerequisite of having a CCNA or CCNP.

• 13. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge

Thanks for all your replies and making it less confusing.

• 14. Re: CCIE Low Vs. High Level Knowledge
                                    Rigo - Community Moderator

Hi Elizabeth,

As some of the users have mentioned above, the CCIE certification does not have any formal pre-requisites, however, you are expected to have in-depth understanding of the topics and are encouraged to have 3-5 years of job experience before attempting the certification.

To achieve the CCIE certification (in any track), you must first pass a written qualification exam and then the corresponding hands-on lab exam.

For more information, please visit the CCIE page http://www.cisco.com/go/ccie

Cisco Learning Network Moderator