Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNA) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
4346 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2011 1:59 PM by Ann Marcus RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Global Knowledge ICND1/2 vs CCNAX (CCNA)

Oct 24, 2011 8:12 AM

Tom 2 posts since
Oct 24, 2011

I want to get CCNA certified, I already took the CCNA/CCNP networking academies while I was in college a few years back. The sales person at Global Knowledge wants me to take ICND 1 and ICND 2 and not the fast track CCNAX boot camp they offer. The classes look very similar but I was told "

The Boot camp is strictly exam prep, if you can't execute 95 % of what is covered in the labs and course content of the ICND1 and 2 classes, you will not be successfulwith the Boot Camp."

Aren't all 3 classes suppose to be exam prep??

If someone already know 95% why would anyone want to take this class??

http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/coursepdf.asp?pageid=9&courseid=10416&catid=206&methodid=c&country=United+States

http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/coursepdf.asp?pageid=9&courseid=10418&catid=206&methodid=c&country=United+States

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security, CCSI 6,986 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    1. Oct 24, 2011 3:15 PM (in response to Tom)
    Re: Global Knowledge ICND1/2 vs CCNAX (CCNA)

I agree and disagree with what your GK rep is saying.  I don't work for nor represent them in any way, but I can speak to the content of ICND1/ICND2 vs CCNAX.  CCNAX should not just be exam prep.  If it is, it isn't being delivered the way that Cisco intends for it to be delivered.  The content of CCNAX is ICND1 and ICND2 merged together.  There are a couple of places of overlap that are removed.  With that being said, the two course approach is much better for most people. 

You do seem to be a better candidate for the CCNAX than what is typical.  The fact that you have some background with CCNA/CCNP is a huge plus.  The problem with CCNAX is not that it is entirely test prep, the main issue is that there are so many concepts.  It is mentally exhausting to absorb all of the content at once. 

For you, I'd say you could take a single course approach if you are already comfortable with many of the topics.  The disadvantage is that the instructor has to stay on task and cannot bring as many experiences and real world scenarios into his or her training.  Another option given your background would be to brush up on ICND1 content and write the exam.  Then take the ICND2 course to get you up to speed with EIGRP, OSPF, Frame-relay, and WAN connections.

I don't think there is a wrong answer for you to move forward.  I typically recommend a 2 test, 2 class approach.  If someone has a stronger background (like yours), sometimes a 2 test, 1 class approach is also a good choice.  I only suggest a single test approach for those who have worked with Cisco gear for quite a while and have simply not had a need to certify.  HTH.

• Jill Liles 4 posts since
    Jul 24, 2008
    2. Oct 25, 2011 5:27 AM (in response to Tom)

Hi Tom,

I'm Jill with Global Knowledge and wanted to respond to your question, with a little clarification and some more resources that might help you make your decision.

What Paul says is roughly correct - the CCNA Boot Camp is a combination of the topics in ICND1 and ICND2. However, as you can tell from the schedules, that's 10 days of content covered in just 5 days. Even allowing for the overlapping material that's removed and the extended hours of the bootcamp, it is still a LOT of content in a short amount of time. For that reason, we recommend that people who are new to Cisco networking take ICND1 and ICND2.

All three courses will help you get your CCNA certification, but the ICND1 and ICND2 courses have the luxury of more time to spend on each topic to really help you master them and hone your skills.

However, from the little info you provided on your background, it would seem to me that you'd be a good candidate for the bootcamp. Especially if you've been using your skills on the job in the years since you took the classes in college.

Your question is a fairly common one, so we asked one of our CCNA instructors to explain the difference between the ICDN1 / ICND2 exams and the combo CCNA exam here:

http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/certification_listing.asp?pageid=12&certid=237&country=United+States

And we developed our CCNA Assessment quiz to help you judge your knowledge using questions styled after the exam. Typically if you score well on this test, you would do fine in the CCNA Boot Camp.

http://db.globalknowledge.com/test/setDir.asp

I wish you the best of luck on your certification journey. Please feel free to contact me if you have any more questions, or I can be of any further help.

• Ann Marcus 422 posts since
    Jan 25, 2008
    3. Nov 2, 2011 1:59 PM (in response to Jill Liles)

Hey Jill:

Perhaps you would like to post this comparitive info in the Global Knowledge Lounge here on CLN as well for others to review.

:-)

~ Ann

Community Manager

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)