Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Copper River Learning Partner Lounge > Discussions
993 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 15, 2011 7:02 PM by Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Video Review - Modules 6, 7, 8

Oct 15, 2011 4:43 PM

PJ 84 posts since
Jun 5, 2010

HI, today I completed the videos for the entire cirriculum which include modules 6, 7, and 8.  I hope that Keith doesn't mind me combining my reviews into one posting as I got a little behind on actually writing up the reviews as I completed each module but really as I've been posting my reviews, I was just blown away with how much I learned.  This has been a truly invaluable resource for me.

Module 6 - ACL's

Here we learned about standard and extended ACLs and their purposes.  We learned about the order of process and how ACL logic works with implicit deny being one of the most important principles when it comes to ACLs.  We learned how to edit existing ACLs, use them with interfaces and vty access for telnet.  We also leanred about Named IP ACL, Named Standard and Named Extended.  This was really a top to bottom review of ACLs and what we can do with thme - Very informative. 

Module 7 - NAT, PAT and IPv6

This module was huge.  We built on module 6 with the introduction of NAT and PAT (NAT overloading).  We learned about Static NAT, Dynamic NAT. Basically, configuing NAT and PAT boils down to 2 methods.  With NAT, assigning 2 interfaces with an ip nat inside and ip nat outside, creating an access list for the network that you want to translate, then creating a pool with a range of IP addresses along with a prefix mask to be translated into. Then sourcing pool and overloading it if the maximum range of IP's are met.  PAT is even simpler.  Simply remove the pool and the reference to the source list, then use the ip nat inside source list command and assign it to an interface with the overload command.  Then that interface, is doing all the port translations with a single IP address rather than a pool. 

The last part of the module involved IPv6.  Keith went into a lot of detail of detail explaining the history of IPv4, its shortcomings and the new features of IPv6.  Keith then explained the address types and what they are used for.  Keith also went into great detail explaining how IPv6 is constructed or formatted.  We learned about link-local addresses, adress aggregation, then finally implementing IPv6.  This was a really good series of videos as I feel like I can comfortably explain IPv6 and it's benefits.

Module 8 - VPN and WAN Protocols

This was another big module.  We learned about the types of VPNs such as site-to site and remote-access.  We learned about the IPsec framework and how it combines security protocols teogether with those being Autnentication Header and Encapsulating Security Payload.

We learned about different WANs and the different encapsulation protocols such as PPP, HDLC and Frame-Relay.  We learned about the different components of PPP being LCP and NCP, along with PAP and CHAP authentication types.  Lastly, we learned about Frame-Relay and the different topologies such as Hub and Spoke (Star), Full Mesh and Partial Mesh.  We learned how to impleent Frame-Relay with point-to-point subinterfaces and multipoint subinterfaces .  There's a lot to keep track of so I'm sure I will be revisiting these videos.  We also learned about troubleshooting Frame-Relay and basically this really shows how everything is glued together. 

I am so appreciative of what Keith and Scott put together.  My next step is to go back and keep practicing the material.  Hopefully I will be ready to take the test by the end of November or early December will keep everyone updated on any questions I have and ultimately my result of passage on the CCNA. 

Thanks again.

PJ

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)