14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 1:08 PM by Martin RSS

CCIE Lab equipment

Rizwan Ayub

Hello all

I just want to practice individual technology for CCIE written and have ordered 3*2691 64F/160D routers and 2*3550 with EMI and also looking forward to buy a frame relay router as well as access server. But am confused because should i buy the equipment with a work book lab scenario in mind or with my own preparation in mind?? I haven't bought any work books yet as i am working slowly and carefully with the written and want to prepare 80 % of lab before written.

Regards,

Rizwan Ayub

• 1. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
          Martin

It is up to you, most of us will use workbooks like those from INE.

I am affraid you need 2611XM, not 2691;

and c3550 are not enough for CCIE; u will need 2 of c3560;

There are guys that lab CCIE with GNS3 and 4 real switches; I would skip buying routers and get 2 c3550 and 2 c3560;

see for details http://www.ciscoland.net/CCIE_Labs.html

and

here is topology details:

http://www.ine.com/topology.htm

INE has also rack to rent (as many other places)

http://www.ine.com/rack-rentals.htm#Overview

• 2. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
            Brian McGahan - 4 x CCIE, CCDE

The platforms don't matter as much as what IOS they can run.  You want to make sure that you can run 12.4T Advanced Enterprise Services.

As you get further into your preparation for the lab, you'll probably want to get at least three more routers, a router for a Frame Relay switch, and an access server.  For the other routers I would get either 2611XM or 1841, for the Frame Relay switch a 2522 or a 3600 with two NM-4A/S modules, and for the access server either a 2511 or a 2600 with an NM-16A module.

You should also get one or more additional switches for advanced spanning tree scenarios.  3550s are fine and cheaper, but there are some minor differences between them and the 3560s.

• 3. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
              Rizwan Ayub

i think the 2691 are capable of running 12.4T Adv Ent services. As i am a bit low on finance and it is the best thing i can get for now. 3560's are a bit expensive and i will buy them later or practice the adv spanning tree on a rental rack if other switching practice can be done on 3550's. The flash and ram is also an issue on few of the routers as 12.4T needs atleast 32F and 160D minimum i guess...I don't know it is a thumb rule to buy 2611XM if i can do the work on 2691 as it can run 12.4T as well as i can do MPLS on it.

• 4. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                Rizwan Ayub

@ Martin...i know INE suggest a lab scenario but still 2611XM are not a thumb rule. If you go and check 12.4T ADV Enterprise services IOS 2611XM as well as 2691 are both capable to run this IOS. The only difference comes when you see the flash and ram size. ADV Enterprise services need 48F and 192D which i guess is reasonable. Brian is right that hardware matters less unless it support the appropriate IOS. I also agree that i need 3 more routers and i have already seen a cheap 2522 router for frame relay with NM-4AS. The only problem is switches that is why i didnt ordered them yet and want to know more. How much can i do on 3550's with EMI?? and is it possible like INE lab has 2*3550 with EMI and 2*3560, i could buy and practice major switching part for written now and then for lab buy 2*3560 switches for adv spanning tree??? i guess it will be the best approach keeping my budget in mind.

• 5. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                  Martin

you can load EMI IOS onto 3550's SMI platform;

3560 are needed for Private Vlans, QoS traffic, VACLs, and something else I forgot;

ciscoland also have XM routers in both CCIE and CCNP labs;

What about GNS3 ?

• 6. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                    Rizwan Ayub

Martin there are some issues regarding running EMI on 3550 with SMI...i have talked to sellers and it is not possible i guess for us to change that easily. I guess the most important stuff that we can not practice on 3550 is private VLAN's and adv spanning tree but as i said it is not necessary to buy really expensive 3560's for that and instead can rent a lab for that purpose. GNS 3 is good but my theory is something else i know guys are using it for CCIE but what's the use without real routers and switches in hand? if you wana be good at Cisco then play with the hardware not like going for an interview after CCIE and saying i havent used a real router yet. I am so late for CCIE just because i followed what the experts told me. I came to sweden for MS and also found a job as network consultant and have designed and implemented QoS for large enterprises on 2960, 3560e and 6500 series switches. The real moto is not to pass the test...it is all about learning   

• 7. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                      Brian McGahan - 4 x CCIE, CCDE

Yes you can use a mix of 3550s and 3560s.  3550s lack IPv6 routing support, Private VLAN support, and behave different from 3560s in some minor cases such as default port modes and QoS.  In reality the platforms are more than 95% identical.

• 8. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                        Sey

Martin there are some issues regarding running EMI on 3550 with SMI...i have talked to sellers and it is not possible i guess for us to change that easily.

This is not true. There are no technical restrictions or problems when upgrading SMI to EMI. 3550s are the best nonexpensive switches today for studying.

• 9. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                          Martin
                          talked to sellers and it is not possible

well, they want your money, hehehe

I loaded EMI onto SMI platform and works fine; I would not recommand this for production switch but for lab is OK;

GNS3 is emulator running on real IOS; I think is better than real rotuer;

• 10. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                            Rizwan Ayub

Martin yeah they want money but i guess the price is not that much different so why to waste preparation time which is more valuable to me right now by changing an IOS...I know about GNS3 because i use it to emulate juniper router but how can you say that they are better then real routers? Lolz...i know for those who cant afford expensive cisco equipment this is the best bet but duhhh!!! your statement about a PC with multiple NIC's and processing power and running a freeware to emulate router with real IOS is better then the actual hardware is way above ma head!!!

• 11. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                              Rizwan Ayub

@sey i know you could have done it but i know for a fact that if i buy second hand cisco switches then i don't have a valid IOS licence. I guess and correct me if am wrong that licence is specific to customers not devices. So even if am using a pirated version for learning purpose am using it the wrong way and i don't wana do it any how, so why so many problems for couple of extra bucks but infact i guess they both cost same

• 12. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                                brackmr

The IOS licence on Cisco Routers does not transfer with the router. As for using a used 2691 router for Cisco Training, you cannot go wrong. The 2691 has 3 WIC slots & 1 NM Slot. you can have 256 MB of ram and 128 MB of flash ( the flash is a module that can be removed Also, the 2691 can run c2691-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d.bin ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES 12.4(25d).  This router can be used for most of your Cisco Training.

• 13. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                                  Sey

Better late than never

@sey i know you could have done it but i know for a fact that if i buy second hand cisco switches then i don't have a valid IOS licence. I guess and correct me if am wrong that licence is specific to customers not devices. So even if am using a pirated version for learning purpose am using it the wrong way and i don't wana do it any how, so why so many problems for couple of extra bucks but infact i guess they both cost same

The interesting thing here is that it doesn't matter if you pay resellers more for an EMI software, as this violates Cisco licensing anyway. You can resell hardware but not IOS. Technically you must purchase a license from Cisco for every piece of used hardware you buy.

• 14. Re: CCIE Lab equipment
                                    Martin

wow, just be careful reading inital posting date is Sep 12, 2011 ; 2 years old