14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2011 8:10 AM by Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE RSS

OSPF Multicast Question ?

Rajesh Agrawal

Hi All,

I have a questioned arosen from mind regrading OSPF multicast packet. As we all know OSPF Multicast works on 224.0.0.5 and 224.0.0.6.

Yesterday i was going through Anthony Sequeira and Keith Video on youtube for multicast and understood good. However i have doubt about that how ospf client or any OSPF running router joins the multicast group (224.0.0.5 or 6) and if all the router by default enable multicast routing for OSPF or any other routing protocol multicast ?

As I understood by the Video that IP Sparse mode or  Dense or IP sparse dense mode we need to enable ip multicast routing on router. As well as we have to use "ip igmp join-group" command to join any group

Please if you can tell me the process about OSPF or other routing protocol which use multicast.. How those protocol works?

• 1. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
          miftaul haque

224.0.0.0/24 are multicast addresses range reserved for local networks.

In OSPF, 224.0.0.5 (all routers) and 224.0.0.6 (Designated Routers) are used, but 224.0.0.6 is only found on MultiAcces networks where DR/BDR elections occurs.

The moment a router is configured with OSPF, it joins itself to the 224.0.0.5 multicast group automatically.
          When the DR/BDR election occurs, then the DR/BDR router joins to 224.0.0.6 multicast address automatically.

Thanks

Miftaul

• 2. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
            Martin

OSPF Multicast and Sparse mode or Dense or sparse-dense mode have nothing to do with each other;

You run OSPF on the router, it listens to 224.0.0.5 and/or 224.0.0.6 multicast traffic;

RiP v2 and EIGRP use multicast as well on 224.0.0.9 and 224.0.0.10.

ip multicast routing is for different type of M-cast traffic

• 3. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
              Rajesh Agrawal

My last Question Reg the same as i asked  "if by default a newly router has multicast enable" as OSPF also uses multicast.

As we do "IP multicast routing" command on router to enable the multicast routing. What about in case of OSPF how does it work in new router without "IP multicat routing" enable

• 4. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                LeeBrownUSA

Certain multicast functions related to dynamic routing protocols, OSFP, EIGRP, etc are allowed by default.  Like having multicast enabled all the time with a ACL to restrict it to just what is needed by the dynamic routing protocols.

Cheers,

Lee

• 5. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                  Rajesh Agrawal

It means in all the router for all kind of muticast routing protocol by default multicast routing is enable?

• 6. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                    LeeBrownUSA

yes, for the dynamic routing protocols, multicast is allowed by default.

• 7. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                      Rajesh Agrawal

Thanks every one to help me clear my doubt..

• 8. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                        Erick

Hi Rajesh

Multicast routing doesn't need to be enabled with routing protocols that multicast updates because the TTL is set to one.  This means that these multicast packets can not be routed beyond a single hop.  When a receiving router receives the update that was multicasted to the 224.0.0.5 or the 224.0.0.6, the TTL will be decremented to 0 and the packet wil then be discarded.  So it's not possible to route these packets throughout the network.

HTH

Erick

Message was edited by: ErickB

• 9. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                          Rajesh Agrawal

Thanks Eric,

This is new and good information i found in entire chain, Actually i was clearing my concept so that i can make sure what goes where and could clear the thing which is very basic.

• 10. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                            Rajesh Agrawal

I have checked in just 2 router R1 and R2 and captured their entire EIGRP traffic and found that TTL is set to 2 when R1 send first Hello packet to 224.0.0.10 . In this case what happen to TTL - 2 does it die or forward further to another router.

I know its EIGRP question under OSPF umbrela however the mail point about the multicast routing protocol behaviour

• 11. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                              Rajesh Agrawal

Frame 11: 74 bytes on wire (592 bits), 74 bytes captured (592 bits)

Arrival Time: Sep  7, 2011 13:33:12.551575000 India Standard Time

Epoch Time: 1315382592.551575000 seconds

[Time delta from previous captured frame: 1.965000000 seconds]

[Time delta from previous displayed frame: 0.000000000 seconds]

[Time since reference or first frame: 32.573000000 seconds]

Frame Number: 11

Frame Length: 74 bytes (592 bits)

Capture Length: 74 bytes (592 bits)

[Frame is marked: False]

[Frame is ignored: False]

[Protocols in frame: eth:ip:eigrp]

[Coloring Rule Name: TTL low or unexpected]

[Coloring Rule String: ( ! ip.dst == 224.0.0.0/4 && ip.ttl < 5 && !pim) || (ip.dst == 224.0.0.0/24 && ip.ttl != 1)]

Ethernet II, Src: c0:00:1d:54:00:00 (c0:00:1d:54:00:00), Dst: IPv4mcast_00:00:0a (01:00:5e:00:00:0a)

Destination: IPv4mcast_00:00:0a (01:00:5e:00:00:0a)

Address: IPv4mcast_00:00:0a (01:00:5e:00:00:0a)

.... ...1 .... .... .... .... = IG bit: Group address (multicast/broadcast)

.... ..0. .... .... .... .... = LG bit: Globally unique address (factory default)

Source: c0:00:1d:54:00:00 (c0:00:1d:54:00:00)

Address: c0:00:1d:54:00:00 (c0:00:1d:54:00:00)

.... ...0 .... .... .... .... = IG bit: Individual address (unicast)

.... ..0. .... .... .... .... = LG bit: Globally unique address (factory default)

Type: IP (0x0800)

Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: 10.10.10.1 (10.10.10.1), Dst: 224.0.0.10 (224.0.0.10)

Version: 4

Header length: 20 bytes

Differentiated Services Field: 0xc0 (DSCP 0x30: Class Selector 6; ECN: 0x00: Not-ECT (Not ECN-Capable Transport))

1100 00.. = Differentiated Services Codepoint: Class Selector 6 (0x30)

.... ..00 = Explicit Congestion Notification: Not-ECT (Not ECN-Capable Transport) (0x00)

Total Length: 60

Identification: 0x0000 (0)

Flags: 0x00

0... .... = Reserved bit: Not set

.0.. .... = Don't fragment: Not set

..0. .... = More fragments: Not set

Fragment offset: 0

Time to live: 2

[Expert Info (Note/Sequence): "Time To Live" != 1 for a packet sent to the Local Network Control Block (see RFC 3171)]

Protocol: EIGRP (88)

Header checksum: 0xc395 [correct]

Source: 10.10.10.1 (10.10.10.1)

Destination: 224.0.0.10 (224.0.0.10)

Cisco EIGRP

No.     Time        Source                Destination           Protocol Length Info

12 37.503000   10.10.10.1            224.0.0.10            EIGRP    74     Hello

• 12. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                                cadetalain

Hi,

they won't get past the router anyway because this is link-local scope multicast address and furthermore we haven't got any multicast routing protocol enabled.

Alain.

• 13. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                                  Erick

Hi Rajesh

Look at what RFC 5771 has to say about the multicast addresses in the range of 224.0.0.0 - 224.0.0.255, which includes the EIGRP example you mentioned.

4.  Local Network Control Block (224.0.0/24)

Addresses in the Local Network Control Block are used for protocol

control traffic that is not forwarded off link.  Examples of this

type of use include OSPFIGP All Routers (224.0.0.5) [RFC2328].

So even though Cisco decided not to play by the rules officially when it comes to EIGRP, that control plane traffic is not going to be forwarded past the local link, meaning one hop.

Erick

• 14. Re: OSPF Multicast Question ?
                                    Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE

Link local multicast messages (224.0.0.x/24) will not get routed.

HTH,

Scott