Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > IT Careers > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
5995 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2011 11:39 AM by Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE RSS

Currently Being Moderated

OSPF and Loopback interface

Sep 6, 2011 5:09 AM

Darlington 90 posts since
Aug 3, 2011

I have 2 loopback interfaces configured on a router. None of the 2 comes up as the router ID for OSPF. Instead the highest IP address on the physical interface becomes the router ID. I have reloaded the router and even entered the command: clear ip ospf. But still it returns the router ID as the physical interface. So my question is does configuring 2 loopacks in ospf changes the default behave of router ID. If I disable one of the loopbacks and do reload the router the other loopback turns up as the router ID.

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,351 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009
    1. Sep 6, 2011 5:36 AM (in response to Darlington)
    Re: OSPF and Loopback interface

Darlington wrote:

I have 2 loopback interfaces configured on a router. None of the 2 comes up as the router ID for OSPF. Instead the highest IP address on the physical interface becomes the router ID. I have reloaded the router and even entered the command: clear ip ospf. But still it returns the router ID as the physical interface. So my question is does configuring 2 loopacks in ospf changes the default behave of router ID. If I disable one of the loopbacks and do reload the router the other loopback turns up as the router ID.

Hello-

It is possible, that in the "router ospf" configuration mode, that the ospf router-id is manually set, and that is why it continues to use that router ID.

Issue the command:

show run | include section router

and see if it is there.

If that isn't the case, then your loopbacks are probably "shutdown".    If you bring the loopbacks out of shutdown, and save the config and reload, then the router id should be the highest IP of the two loopbacks.

R1#conf t

R1(config)#no router ospf 1

R1(config)#interface loop 0

R1(config-if)#shutdown

R1(config-if)#do show ip interface brief | exclude unassigned

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

FastEthernet0/0            10.0.0.1        YES NVRAM  up                    up     

Loopback0                  1.1.1.1         YES NVRAM  administratively down down  

R1(config-if)#router ospf 1

R1(config-router)#network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0

R1(config-router)#do show ip ospf | include Routing Process

Routing Process "ospf 1" with ID 10.0.0.1

R1(config-router)#exit

R1(config)#no router ospf 1

R1(config)#interface loop 0

R1(config-if)#no shutdown

R1(config-if)#router ospf 1

R1(config-router)#network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0

R1(config-router)#do show ip ospf | include Routing Process

Routing Process "ospf 1" with ID 1.1.1.1

R1(config-router)#

Keith

Message was edited by: Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP, CCSI

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,396 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    2. Sep 7, 2011 11:39 AM (in response to Darlington)
    Re: OSPF and Loopback interface

I'd agree with keith.  Do a "show run | section ospf" and see what's there.  If there is more than one OSPF process already using those loopbacks as RIDs, that would also prevent them from being used, but short of that or what Keith pointed out, there should be no reason they aren't chosen.

Also, use "show interface" just to be sure that your loopback isn't "shutdown" for some reason.  That too would cause the problem you're seeing but that would be very odd.

Scott

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)