Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNA) > Discussions

_Communities

4338 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2011 7:57 PM by Keneil Facey RSS

Currently Being Moderated

CCNA Switching & Wireless (few questions)

Aug 8, 2011 6:27 AM

Efx 629 posts since
Jun 26, 2010

Hello Guys! Can you share your ideas how  to solve these problems? How to choose best answers from these?

1. What is one disadvantage that 802.11a wireless has compared to 802.11g?

a)      Use of the 5GHz band requires much larger antennas.

b)      The OFDM modulation technique results in a slower data rate.

c)      There are fewer non-overlapping channels available to help reduce RF interference.

d)      The use of higher frequencies means that signals are more likely to be obstructed.

2. Refer to the exhibit. How is port Gi1/1 on SWT-A functioning in the spanning-tree topology?

stp.jpg

a)      It is sending and receiving data frames.

b)      It is receiving BPDUs, but not sending data frames.

c)      It is participating in the election process by forwarding the BPDUs it receives.

d)      It is receiving BPDUs and populating the MAC address table, but not sending data.

3. Which security protocol or measure would provide the greatest protection for a wireless LAN?

a)      WPA2

b)      cloaking SSIDs

c)      shared WEP key

d)      MAC address filtering

4.Refer to the exhibit. The VTP domain has been configured as shown in the exhibit. The network technician accidentally configured the VTP server as a VTP client. After the technician reloaded the switches, all users in the VTP domain started to complain that they lost connectivity to the users on the same VLANs that are connected to other switches. What should be done in the future to prevent losing all VLAN configurations in a VTP domain?

vtp.jpg

a)      Configure all switches in VTP transparent mode and copy the VLAN configuration into flash.

b)      Configure all switches in the network as VTP clients and copy the VLAN configuration into NVRAM.

c)      Create a new domain and configure a second switch as a VTP server to take over in case of a primary VTP server failure.

d)      In the same domain, configure a second switch as a VTP server to take over in case of a primary VTP server failure.

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,395 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    1. Aug 8, 2011 7:09 AM (in response to Efx)
    Re: CCNA Switching & Wireless (few questions)

Several questions there that you should probably consider splitting up...

Makes it easier for people to search on.

Q1:  a is not true.  b is the same for 802.11g and 802.11a.  c is true for 802.11g but not 802.11a!  So that would leave d as the only viable (and correct) answer.

Q2:  According to the command output, what role is it in?  And what status does it show?  There's only one of the four choices that will really meet that.

Q3:  Do we have an understanding about what each one entails?  That's going to be critical to picking the best answer.

Q4:  That's a poor question.  Because while I'm sure they want you to answer based on VTP, the reality is that if you have a switch in the middle of your network, and you reboot it, you will lose connectivity to anything passing through it!  Get more links! 

Scott

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

Hi Scott

Could this be homework?

Regards Conwyn

Oct 7, 2008
    3. Aug 8, 2011 8:17 AM (in response to Conwyn)

Possible!  That's why I only answered one. 

• ry 200 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010
    5. Aug 8, 2011 10:08 AM (in response to Efx)

I'll take on 1 and 3.

For 1, a) The higher the freq, the shorter the wavelength, thus shorter antenna. b) OFDM is much faster than DSSS. 54Mbps vs 11 Mbps. c) /a has 23 (I think) and /g has 3 non-overlap chs.d) higher frequencies are more easily interfered with and travels less far.

For 3, a) WPA2 is the most secure method for wireless to this day b)SSID cloaking can only protect you from neighbors who want to used your net, not from even semi-pros c) WEP has proven to be a joke, among pros at least d) MAC filtering can be easily bypassed by MAC cloning.

• cisoMJM 62 posts since
    Jul 4, 2010
    6. Aug 8, 2011 11:54 AM (in response to Efx)

I want answer Q 2

According to output Port G1/1 & its in Forewarding state so can send & recive data Frames

Oct 7, 2008
    7. Aug 8, 2011 2:15 PM (in response to Efx)

The important part though is not what we think....  Clearly if you search on the internet, you can find those who disagree with us.  Which makes either them wrong or us. 

So the thing comes down to what you believe the right answer is and WHY!  Therein lies the learning!

Scott

• cadetalain 2,642 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    9. Aug 8, 2011 11:40 PM (in response to Efx)

Hi,

Efx a écrit:

because G1/1 port is acting like root port, and on root port switch is not sending BPDUs back to the root switch,

What matters here is the state of the port, not the role.

This is answer a because the state of the port is Forwarding.

answer b would be for state of Listening.

answer d would be for state of Learning

Regards.

Alain.

• cisoMJM 62 posts since
    Jul 4, 2010
    10. Aug 8, 2011 11:48 PM (in response to Efx)

Hi EFX,

I recomand u to read to port states. & Read the Spaning Tree Protcol

again.

• Parvesh Paliwal 97 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    11. Aug 9, 2011 12:18 AM (in response to Efx)

To Scott and others....

I am not against your words but we are here to discuss and share the issues/questions...

I request you all to respond using simply by links or minor explanations/hints..

Thanks

Parvesh

• James 584 posts since
    Jun 29, 2008
    12. Aug 9, 2011 1:02 AM (in response to Efx)

Efx, think about what they are asking and get rid of the totally wrong ones. Like the best security for wireless. if you think about it 1) mac-address can be faked.  2) cloaking SSID maywork but a scanner can see the signal and pick out the SSID 3) wep key is Weak Encryption Protocol, so which is left for a good security.

Just do that to figure out the correct answer then

• Keneil Facey 200 posts since
    Oct 1, 2010
    14. Aug 9, 2011 7:57 PM (in response to Efx)

Efx, about question 4)

If you decide to place a VTP server in a different domain, wouldnt it mean the VTP clients in a different domain would just ignore those VLAN updates?

D seems more 'correct' to me,

A is 'almost' a good answer, configuring the switches as transparent, but the part that triggers my speculation is 'copy the VLAN configuration into flash', because VLAN info is automatically stored in a file on flash called vlan.dat

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)