Cisco Learning Home > CCIP Study Group > Discussions
5413 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2011 4:38 PM by Faaz RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Professional Exam Cost Increased?

Aug 6, 2011 10:51 AM

Faaz 11 posts since
Dec 21, 2010

HI,

I just learned from Pearson VUE Website that the cost of all professional Level Exams (642-XXX) have increased from $150 to $200 

When did this happen? Infact I had written One exam the last month for $150. What do you think guys...?

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 6, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to Faaz)
    Re: Professional Exam Cost Increased?

Not sure exactly when the price changed, but the CCNP exams (ROUTE, SWITCH, and TSHOOT) have been that price for quite a while.

• Martin 13,067 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    2. Aug 6, 2011 1:25 PM (in response to Faaz)

you got lucky; it is $200;

3. Aug 7, 2011 4:33 AM (in response to Faaz)

Hi Faaz

The price of the CCNP exams was $150 when it was on the previous version.  I acquired my CCNP when the tests were BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW & ONT.  Each test was $150.  That's a total of $600.  Cisco raised the price of the exams during the refresh to $200 because they took an exam away.  So in order for the cost of the certification to remain the same, they had to raise the price.  So just because there is one less exam to take to get the CCNP, doesn't mean you get to pay last version's price and get the certification cheaper.

HTH,

Erick

• Jared 5,498 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008
    4. Aug 7, 2011 9:01 AM (in response to Erick)

Interesting theory Erick, but I am not totally sure its completely accurate.  The ccnp wireless tests were $150.00 just a couple of weeks ago and now they are at $200.00 as well.  That certification has 4 tests and therefore the cost has gone up for that cert as a whole, like the CCIP.

Since the ccnp has been at its current pricing structure for awhile, perhaps it just took some time for cisco to match up all of its professional level tests to the same pricing.

I remember reading a pricing doc on cisco tests and seeing that professional level tests could be between $150 and $300 depending on the test.  With that in mind, I would have to echo Martin and say at least its only $200.00.  It could be more.

5. Aug 7, 2011 11:38 AM (in response to Jared)

Jared - the CCNP exams went up as soon as the old 4-exam track was retired.  I think Erick is right about part of it, they cannot cut their margins just because they streamlined the number of exams each candidate takes.  I'm willing to bet their costs stayed the same or went UP with the new CCNP internally within Cisco to develop the track.

With that said, you did not see too many people say "well $50 a test is just WAY too much to pay extra, screw Cisco tests".  I bet Cisco noticed that as well, and bumped the rest. 

My main concern is that Cisco uses this extra revenue to IMPROVE the exam tracks and perhaps add more simulation-based questions into the exam tracks and move further away from cram-friendly multiple choice exams. I LOVED the troubleshoot section of the CCIE lab when I took it at Live this year....I wish all Cisco exams were more config-intensive. 

Jul 27, 2008
    6. Aug 7, 2011 4:42 PM (in response to tnewshott)

That is a possibility.  I have no idea why other professional level tests went up just recently or why it took so long to "match" up other professional level tests to the CCNP test pricing.  The 3 test CCNP has been out for a while now, and other professional level tests have just been raised to the same pricing, like within the past couple of weeks.  I just booked one a couple weeks ago for $150.00 and today it is $200.00, so it is a recent change.

Do I like the price change?  Honestly, I really can't say that I do.  Am I going to loose any sleep over it?  Nope!  Still plan on finishing up CCNP Wireless.

I do hope the extra revenue goes into more sim based testing.  I would love to see a sim of a Wireless Controller or WCS on wireless exams!

Jul 27, 2008
  • ziqbal 8 posts since
    Jan 31, 2010
    8. Aug 7, 2011 6:04 PM (in response to Jared)

Booked my CCIP (MPLS) exam by end of july and it was $150 USD. Today it shows $200.

• Sey 1,388 posts since
    May 4, 2010
    9. Aug 8, 2011 2:37 AM (in response to tnewshott)

and move further away from cram-friendly multiple choice exams

This is so precise, I like the term.

• hunter_thom 112 posts since
    Jun 13, 2009
    10. Aug 8, 2011 3:32 PM (in response to Faaz)

I noticed this last May when I took TSHOOT, that it was more expensive, but I guess I assumed it was just TSHOOT (or at the least, just the CCNP exams). Just checked it out and it's $200 USD. Too bad! Ah well, could be worse.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)