7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2011 9:22 PM by Cameron Hughes RSS

Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration

Cameron Hughes

Just wondering what Cisco discovery and Cisco exploration have in common and the biggest difference. Is one better then the other? Witch would be preferred?

Thanks

• 2. Re: Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration
          Cameron Hughes

Thanks for the reply. But I am just starting out and I understand that they are different and the same but I was looking for an answer from someone that has been in the classes or that is an instructor. (I've read those pages and get a little bit out of them but not a firm grasp right now)

thanks,

JC

• 3. Re: Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration
            DelVonte

Exploration goes into more "technical detail' than Discovery. From what I've seen and heard from others, Exploration goes deeper into the CCNA concepts, while Discovery gives you an introduction to networking. Of course I can't confirm this firsthand, but the descriptions on the links provided seem to suggest this:

CCNA Discovery is designed for students with basic PC skills and foundational math and problem solving skills. The curriculum offers an engaging learning experience for more visual and kinetic learners. Many interactive activities are embedded in all of the courses to break up the text and help reinforce student comprehension. In addition, a large number of labs encourage additional hands-on practice.

CCNA Exploration is designed for students with advanced problem solving and analytical skills. The curriculum offers a comprehensive and theoretical learning experience for analytical students, and uses language that aligns well with engineering concepts. Interactive activities are embedded in the curriculum, along with detailed, theoretical content. Advanced labs build critical thinking and problem solving skills and encourage exploration and research.

Either way, you get out of it what you put into it. Meaning, take advantage of the instructor and the lab equipment.

DelVonte

• 4. Re: Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration
              Rubin

Well, both discovery and exploration prepare you for the CCNA exam.

I took the exploration courses at my local college. The discovery courses were offered in some area high schools. My experiences with the exploration courses were great and I always recommend them to others. My professor was an adjunct who works as a senior network engineer for Northup Gruman and taught classes at night. We use real gear during lab time and the department chair allow students access to the gear anytime there is not a scheduled class.

• 5. Re: Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration
                Rubin

I will venture to say that if you are not in high school, you will take the exploration courses at a Cisco Networking Academy.

• 6. Re: Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration
                  Cameron Hughes

Thanks been a big help!

I am taking the class at a local college also. I am taking 8 week classes  (exploration) Ill be done in May 2012 with all of the courses (2 this semester 2 next semester). I am brand new to cisco (networking) but Did your college certificate (routing and switching is what my certificate is called) help you with job offers or being able to be employed or would just getting the ccna be enough? (since this is my first time being around this type of information I think I have to have a class / teacher to teach me.) I have train signal and cbt nuggets and network + all on dvds but I still need the classes to ask questions and learn better on hand. ( I have 2 2600s and a 3400 at home) What did you do to get a  job.? How did  your get experience?

Thanks been a big help!

JC

• 7. Re: Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration
                    Cameron Hughes

Thanks man! 

How would you/ did you go about getting experience?

Thanks JC