Skip navigation
Login   |   Register
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
4540 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2011 9:22 PM by Cameron Hughes RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration

Aug 3, 2011 1:33 PM

Just wondering what Cisco discovery and Cisco exploration have in common and the biggest difference. Is one better then the other? Witch would be preferred?

Thanks

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Aug 3, 2011 6:46 PM (in response to Cameron Hughes)
    Re: Cisco Discovery vs Cisco Exploration

Exploration goes into more "technical detail' than Discovery. From what I've seen and heard from others, Exploration goes deeper into the CCNA concepts, while Discovery gives you an introduction to networking. Of course I can't confirm this firsthand, but the descriptions on the links provided seem to suggest this:

CCNA Discovery is designed for students with basic PC skills and foundational math and problem solving skills. The curriculum offers an engaging learning experience for more visual and kinetic learners. Many interactive activities are embedded in all of the courses to break up the text and help reinforce student comprehension. In addition, a large number of labs encourage additional hands-on practice.

CCNA Exploration is designed for students with advanced problem solving and analytical skills. The curriculum offers a comprehensive and theoretical learning experience for analytical students, and uses language that aligns well with engineering concepts. Interactive activities are embedded in the curriculum, along with detailed, theoretical content. Advanced labs build critical thinking and problem solving skills and encourage exploration and research.

Either way, you get out of it what you put into it. Meaning, take advantage of the instructor and the lab equipment.

DelVonte

Join this discussion now: Login / Register
  • Rubin 409 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    4. Aug 4, 2011 4:25 PM (in response to Cameron Hughes)

Well, both discovery and exploration prepare you for the CCNA exam.

I took the exploration courses at my local college. The discovery courses were offered in some area high schools. My experiences with the exploration courses were great and I always recommend them to others. My professor was an adjunct who works as a senior network engineer for Northup Gruman and taught classes at night. We use real gear during lab time and the department chair allow students access to the gear anytime there is not a scheduled class.

• Rubin 409 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    5. Aug 4, 2011 4:28 PM (in response to Cameron Hughes)

I will venture to say that if you are not in high school, you will take the exploration courses at a Cisco Networking Academy.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)