Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNP) > SWITCH Exam > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts)
8784 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 5:32 PM by Shawn Hanff RSS

Currently Being Moderated

VLAN States and VTP Client Mode

Jun 11, 2011 10:03 PM

Christian 4 posts since
May 24, 2011

While completing the CCNP Switch Lab Manual, I ran across a conflict in the text.

The Topology is 4 switches in a full mesh network. By the book, 2 3560s in VTP Server mode and 2 2960s in VTP Client mode. The VTP domain is SWLAB across all switches, no password has been configured, and the operating mode is VTP V2 across all switches.

However, being a real world person with a meager income, my lab consist of 2 3550s in Server mode and 2 2950s in client mode. Close enough without breaking the bank. Anyway...

VLANs 100, 110, and 120 were created on a server mode switch and propagated to the two client mode switches.

The text instructs me to issue the following commands on a client mode switch:

ALS1(config)#vlan 120

ALS1(config-vlan)#shutdown

ALS1(config)#vlan 120

ALS1(config-vlan)#no shutdown

ALS1(config)#vlan 120

ALS1(config-vlan)#state suspend

ALS1(config)#vlan 120

ALS1(config-vlan)#state active

Imagine my surprise when I get the following:

ALS1(config)#vlan 120

VTP VLAN configuration not allowed when device is in CLIENT mode.

ALS1(config)#

Now, I get what the book is trying to teach (about the deference between vlan shutdown and suspend), and the commands work as advertised on either of the switches in server mode.

I know there are discrepancies between hardware platforms and default settings (hello dynamic auto vs dynamic desirable).

My question(s):

Is there a discrepancy where a vlan can be shutdown or suspended on a 2960 in VTP client mode but not on a 2950 in VTP client mode?

-Or-

Is there a discrepancy where a vlan can only be shutdown locally on a switch in VTP Server mode and Cisco neglected to provide a mechanism to locally shutdown a vlan on any switch in VTP client mode?

If asked the question on the test, what answer does Cisco expect?

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,351 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009
    1. Jun 11, 2011 11:21 PM (in response to Christian)
    Re: VLAN States and VTP Client Mode

Hello-

I don't think there will be "trick" questions regarding this.

A VTP client can't create, change or delete VLANs.

That would be what Cisco expects.

Keith

• Brian 2,968 posts since
    Aug 17, 2009
    3. Jun 12, 2011 10:40 AM (in response to Christian)

Correct.  A switch in VTP client mode cannot create, change/modify or delete vlans.

In order to issue the "shutdown" or "suspend" you must be in vlan configuration mode and VTP client switches cannot enter this mode.

So, as was noted by Keith, this is what Cisco would expect.

HTH

• Currently Being Moderated
    4. Mar 21, 2012 7:32 PM (in response to Christian)

Hello Christian,

I would agree with Brian and Keith and their general statements -- and that the certification exam should be testing on those general concepts.

But since you are in a CCNP SWITCH course and asked specifically about 2960's, I wanted to share what we learned in our class. I am an instructor of a CCNP SWITCH course.

On the 2960s in our classroom, we are able to shutdown the VLAN on the VTP client by replacing the commands on page 26 of the lab book with the following command:

ALS1(config)# shutdown vlan 120

And we reactivated the ports with the matching 'no shutdown vlan 120'.

However, we were not able to suspend the vlan on the VTP client (page 27 of lab book says that the command does not have to be issued on the VTP server, but we disagree with that statement).

For reference, our IOS is c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-50.SE5.bin.

• Tim T. 1 posts since
    Aug 12, 2013
    5. Jan 21, 2014 2:50 AM (in response to mattswin)

Hi Matt,

I've encountered the same things you described on 3750s.

(config)#shutdown vlan <VLAND ID> works on a VTP client, but (config)#vlan <VLAND ID> doesn't.

Best regards,

Tim.

• Shawn Hanff 1 posts since
    May 18, 2010
    6. Feb 3, 2014 5:32 PM (in response to Christian)

I'm not sure how many folks are still having this issue, but I had this issue just now and looked at the text/sample vlan output and it would seem to indicate that the output is actually from DLS1, not ALS1.  If you look at VLAN100, it has F0/6 behind it indicating that it's the switch that has Server-Farm-1 attached to it which is DLS1.  Methinks extended range typo.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)