Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Wireless (CCNP Wireless) > Discussions

_Communities

2813 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 4:40 PM by Jared RSS 1 2 Previous Next

Currently Being Moderated

IUWVN exam review

May 25, 2011 7:57 PM

Jeff Rensink 265 posts since
Jun 4, 2008

I passed the IUWVN exam today.  Since I did a review of the CUWSS exam, I figured I should do the same for this one.

This was my second CCNP Wireless exam (CUWSS was my first).  The CUWSS had a slight overlap in material.  Mostly in terms of the RF design (cell edge RSSI, SNR, etc).  So that was a little bit of help when preparing for this exam.  I only spent a little over 2 weeks studying for this exam.  I used the materials listed below.

• Deploying Voice over Wireless LANs- Cisco Press book
  • Voice over Wireless LAN 4.1 Design Guide
  • Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G Deployment Guide
  • Enterprise Mobility 4.1 Design Guide
  • Practice questions on this site

I found studying for this exam harder than the CUWSS exam since there is no quick reference guide from Cisco Press (even though it shows an expected release date of January 2011).  The "Deploying Voice over Wireless LANs" book was not very good.  There was some helpful general VoIP info.  But the actual wireless stuff in there was full of bad advice.  If you can find general VoIP stuff elsewhere for the "Describe voice as it applies to the wireless network" portion of the exam topics list, skip this book.

Get very familiar with the "Voice over Wireless LAN 4.1 Design Guide".  That should be your main study material.  "Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G Deployment Guide" is good for the Cisco phone info and I found the "Enterprise Mobility 4.1 Design Guide" to have some better wireless multicast info than the Voice over Wireless design guide.  Although I never did find a really good wireless multicast document.  That was probably why that was my worst section in the exam.  Maybe someone else can recommend a good resource.

When I took the exam, I ended up having more questions and less time than this site lists for the exam.  But I was done in about 40 minutes.  This exam definitely required much more careful reading of questions and answers than the CUWSS exam.  Not that they were really trying to trick you.  But you just need to make sure that you are clear on what's being asked.

I can't break NDA.  But here are a few tips that I think are kosher to share.

• In wireless, things change between WLC/WCS software and phone firmware versions.  So try and be familiar with some of these differences and what version they changed in.  The exam will specify a version in the questions.
    • An example (that I did NOT get in the exam) is that the Voice 4.1 design guide will say that 7921 phones can only do fast roaming via CCKM with WPA/TKIP.  But in firmware 1.3(4) and later, they can do fast roaming with WPA2/AES.
  • The exam topics do not mention it, but you should be familiar with more than just Cisco brand wireless phones.  This point can be inferred by the content of the practice quizes on this site.

Good luck to others who are taking this exam.  If you find any other good study sources, please share with the group.

• Martin 13,077 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    1. May 25, 2011 8:21 PM (in response to Jeff Rensink)
    Re: IUWVN exam review

thanks

• Jared 5,502 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008
    2. May 26, 2011 5:43 PM (in response to Jeff Rensink)

Awesome review Jeff.  I figured that the deployment and design guides from Cisco.com would be good study materials. I am thinking of doing the security test after CUWSS.

Jeff, do you have experience in the wireless field?

Jul 27, 2008
    4. Jun 27, 2011 6:49 AM (in response to Jeff Rensink)

How about Voice experience?  Do you have any and was it it help in this exam?

Jul 27, 2008
    6. Jun 27, 2011 6:21 PM (in response to Jeff Rensink)

hmmm... If it overlaps with CUWSS a lot, I may take a stab at it.  I haven't decided between this or the Security exam or just taking a break from wireless and going to something else.

• CCNAMooky 59 posts since
    Jun 23, 2009
    7. Jul 9, 2011 8:15 PM (in response to Jeff Rensink)

Thanks for this information. Very useful.

• Steven Williams 3,266 posts since
    Jan 26, 2009
    8. Jul 13, 2011 11:03 AM (in response to CCNAMooky)

Is it me, or does Cisco lack the materials for the CCNP Wireless track? Is this an oversight by Cisco? Are they aware of the lack of materials?

Jul 27, 2008
    10. Jul 13, 2011 9:06 PM (in response to Jeff Rensink)

Actually, I have the CUWSS quick reference and I would say that it has been a help.  I was at the Cisco Store at CiscoLive and had a good conversation about the lack of CCNP Wireless materials.  They said that if more people would take the CCNP Wireless tests that maybe books would come out.  I responded by saying how do you expect people to take the tests if there are no study materials.  They smiled and got the point.

However, Jeff does make a good point as well.  The demand does need to be there.

• Thomas Perrier 84 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008
    11. Jul 18, 2011 6:22 AM (in response to Steven Williams)

Hollywood0728 wrote:

Is it me, or does Cisco lack the materials for the CCNP Wireless track? Is this an oversight by Cisco? Are they aware of the lack of materials?

By Cisco you must mean Cisco Press. Because the training courses (Instructor Led-Classroom style) do supply you with adequate material. Of course, the downside is the cost...

Jul 27, 2008
    12. Jul 18, 2011 10:01 AM (in response to Thomas Perrier)

Yeah, and Cisco Courses ain't cheap.  So I go the self study route due to cost.  The bad thing is that if there are not sufficient study materials for self studiers... then it almost encourages the use of brain dumps, which is not a good thing.  When you look for legit CCNP Wireless material, the majority of it is brain dumps.  So by not providing materials, what choice is one given?

Jul 27, 2008
    14. Jul 18, 2011 9:32 PM (in response to Jeff Rensink)

I completely agree Jeff.  Brain dumps are NEVER acceptable.  Nor was I trying to advocate support for their use.  I was just saying that because CCNP Wireless materials are not delivered in a certification guides, many people struggle with studying for these exams and they fear that the quick reference may not cut it.  I have heard and seen many people express frustration because all they see is dumps for CCNP Wireless.

Your method you described is exactly what I did.  I dug into the design guides and used the quick reference guides from Cisco Press.  It's a bit more difficult because your study materials kind of hidden in cisco.com articles and design guides, but as you say, the material is there, you just got to work harder in finding it.  As challenging as it may be, I quite enjoyed it because you can see where the test really comes from.  The design and config guides on cisco.com is a treasure of information for any certification test.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)