I passed the IUWVN exam today. Since I did a review of the CUWSS exam, I figured I should do the same for this one.
This was my second CCNP Wireless exam (CUWSS was my first). The CUWSS had a slight overlap in material. Mostly in terms of the RF design (cell edge RSSI, SNR, etc). So that was a little bit of help when preparing for this exam. I only spent a little over 2 weeks studying for this exam. I used the materials listed below.
- Deploying Voice over Wireless LANs- Cisco Press book
- Voice over Wireless LAN 4.1 Design Guide
- Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G Deployment Guide
- Enterprise Mobility 4.1 Design Guide
- Practice questions on this site
I found studying for this exam harder than the CUWSS exam since there is no quick reference guide from Cisco Press (even though it shows an expected release date of January 2011). The "Deploying Voice over Wireless LANs" book was not very good. There was some helpful general VoIP info. But the actual wireless stuff in there was full of bad advice. If you can find general VoIP stuff elsewhere for the "Describe voice as it applies to the wireless network" portion of the exam topics list, skip this book.
Get very familiar with the "Voice over Wireless LAN 4.1 Design Guide". That should be your main study material. "Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G Deployment Guide" is good for the Cisco phone info and I found the "Enterprise Mobility 4.1 Design Guide" to have some better wireless multicast info than the Voice over Wireless design guide. Although I never did find a really good wireless multicast document. That was probably why that was my worst section in the exam. Maybe someone else can recommend a good resource.
When I took the exam, I ended up having more questions and less time than this site lists for the exam. But I was done in about 40 minutes. This exam definitely required much more careful reading of questions and answers than the CUWSS exam. Not that they were really trying to trick you. But you just need to make sure that you are clear on what's being asked.
I can't break NDA. But here are a few tips that I think are kosher to share.
- In wireless, things change between WLC/WCS software and phone firmware versions. So try and be familiar with some of these differences and what version they changed in. The exam will specify a version in the questions.
- An example (that I did NOT get in the exam) is that the Voice 4.1 design guide will say that 7921 phones can only do fast roaming via CCKM with WPA/TKIP. But in firmware 1.3(4) and later, they can do fast roaming with WPA2/AES.
- The exam topics do not mention it, but you should be familiar with more than just Cisco brand wireless phones. This point can be inferred by the content of the practice quizes on this site.
Good luck to others who are taking this exam. If you find any other good study sources, please share with the group.