Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Design (CCDA) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
7323 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2011 7:40 AM by Amos RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Router wont let me in!

May 11, 2011 5:48 AM

Amos 85 posts since
Apr 14, 2011

Hi guys.

I have an issue om my hands. My boss asked me to change the passwords

on our network RTR's,

I logged into the 1st one and removed the enable password (no enable password............)

and copied to memory (wr) i got distracted for a while and found the RTR had kicked me out

so i telnetted back in, entered the password, next i typed enable and this is the error

i get

cisco4-Bk>en

% No password set,

what can I do please?

on the other RTR i have successfuly changed the passwords but the enable password wont

take effect and is directing me straight to the privelledged exec mode instead of asking me

for the password first! Im puzzled!

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,351 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 11, 2011 7:31 AM (in response to Amos)
    Re: Router wont let me in!

Hello Amos-

On the routers that take you directly into privileged mode, I am assumining that is when you are using telnet.   It is likely this is in place:

line vty 0 4

privilege level 15

A password for telnet may or may not be required, but when you connect, it immediately puts you at privileged mode (which is level 15).     To correct just this part of it, use this:

conf t

line vty 0 4

no privilege level 15

end

Now, when you connect to this router, (and place a password if required for the telnet session), it will place you at the default privilege level 1 (user mode), and then the user can type in enable and use the enable password/secret to get into privileged mode.

Before you exit this router being configured, make sure there is an enable secret set.   On the first router you mentioned, that is what the problem seems to be.     The router doesn't want to allow a telnet user to move into privileged mode (when using telnet), if there is no enable password/secret set.   On that router, if you connect to the console port, it should allow you to go into privileged mode, and then you can set the enable secret/password.   Once set, the telnet should allow the users connected via telnet to type in enable, and move from user mode to privileged mode.

Best wishes,

Keith

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)