Cisco Learning Home > CCNP R&S Study Group > Discussions
4381 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2011 1:10 AM by anjaz@123 RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Bandwidth command on the tunnel Interface

Mar 9, 2011 9:50 PM

thiyagarajankalaiselvan 253 posts since
Apr 26, 2009

Hello All,

In my Network environment we used to set the bandwith for all GRE& IPSec tunnels.

I have to understand more about the usage of Bandwidth command on the tunnel Interface.

For instance, If I set the bandwidth as 3 MB for a tunnel, Does it mean that tunnel capicity is 3 MB and it will allow only 3 MB?

Any suggestion would appreciable on this regard.

Regards,

Thiyag

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,351 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009

Hello Thiyag-

The bandwidth statement doesn't make data move faster or slower by itself, but it can be used by some technologies.

For example, EIGRP and OSPF can look at the bandwidth parameter (either the default, or the configured one), as part of the calculation for the metric or cost of that link/interface.  

The bandwidth can also be referenced in QoS applications.  

On some IOS versions, GRE tunnels got a super small default bandwidth by default, and protocols like EIGRP doesn't want to use all the bandwidth for routing updates, and may not operate correctly with the default.    Another possibly, is that the GRE tunnel may never be used, as the metric is too high, due to default bandwidth that is too small, and that would be another reason for increasing it.

Best wishes,

Keith

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

Hi Thi

It is used by show int command as well when displaying utilisation.

Regards Conwyn

• anjaz@123 19 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010

Hi Keith,

Bandwidth in Network Communication referes to the amount of data that can be transferred in a particular period from one source to destination.

In cisco world with the increase in network speed also     increases the bandwidth capabilities i.e. we have default value to set to     1500 bytes now how does we know whether the ISP side supports how much of     MTU

Ping<IP address> -l 1500 -f

-l represents send buffer size

Here-f represents don't fragment flag is set

In router also we can do this type of ping for that we need to use the followingcommand :-

Ping<Ip Address> size 1400 df-bit

thus we can increase the bandwidth capabilities of our router thereby increases the throughput. thus it is necessary to find the bandwidth of ISP side to have a better throughput.

Please correct me if i'am misundestood the point.....

Regards,

Anjaz

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    4. Mar 10, 2011 1:04 AM (in response to anjaz@123)
    Re: Bandwidth command on the tunnel Interface

Hi Anjaz

You mis-understood the point. We are talking about GRE tunnels defaulting to 19K and how you can code any value you want but it is used by the routing protocols.

To address your point different technologies have different segment sizes for example Token Ring, FDDI, PoS

Regards Conwyn

• anjaz@123 19 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010
    5. Mar 10, 2011 1:10 AM (in response to Conwyn)
    Re: Bandwidth command on the tunnel Interface

Thanks Conwyn for making it clear............ i got misunderstood with the GRE tunnels...

Thanks,

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)