1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 26, 2011 8:12 AM by Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP RSS

setting up a cisco test lab

Hi everyone I'm trying to set up my cisco lab to help me study for my ccna.

I have a Cisco 2501,2513 and 3620 and a Catalyst 1900 . what i need to do is

get the lab working with my home network, this is how i want the network to be

internet >>dsl-modem>>switch>>CISCO-R1>>CISCO-R2>>Catalyst 1900

The dsl modm and the to routers are using RIP ver2

Router1 and Router2 connected using a dec dte cable the clock rate is set on the dce end, they use for there network "R1 //=\\ R2".

eth0 on Router1 is connected to my home network its ip address is

eth0 on Router2 is connected to the Catalyst 1900

router 2 acts as a dhcp server it pool will be

the problem i ran in to is that i can not ping any website from Router2 but i can ping the dsl modem and computers on my home  network.

I ran a trace route and it gets stuck a thats the dsl modem, some how the router gets the websites ip address but afther that nothing all you see is * * * * * * * * and then it just goes back to the command prompt .

Can someone help me to solve this problem i have more info at

I changed a lot of the configs since then

• 1. Re: setting up a cisco test lab
          Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP

Have R1 act as a DHCP client on e0.

Have R1 act as a PAT device, with overload using the e0 outside interface.

Use a different network address between R1 and R2.

Tell your internal devices about a valid DNS server, (using DHCP to communicate that is fine).

On R1, go passive on interface e0, and advertise a default route into RIP across the serial network.

That should take care of the connectivity from the inside to the Internet.

Best wishes,