Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > CCDA Study Group > Discussions
2768 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2011 12:49 PM by Freed RSS

Currently Being Moderated

any help on where i should start: 640-863 or 864...

Feb 16, 2011 1:58 PM

minyiz808 44 posts since
Feb 2, 2010

Hi,

i want to start studying for my CCDA exam. it's been a struggle trying to figure out which direction to take...

Study for 640-863 and try to pass it by ending of april or just study for 864.

Unfortunately, materials(books) are not available until May 2011....

what should i do?? please advice...

• Josh Settle 214 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010

I would say study for the 640-863 and if by some chance you don't make the deadline the new test will probably be mostly the same topics and then study the newer material.  Good luck!

• Ryan Ruckley CCNP 378 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009

I have had that same dilemour. There is a book available but it's still been written. It depends how comfortable you are being on the cutting edge and also what your timeframe is.

My aim was to pass CCDA by the end of March (now mid April) so I knew the book wouldn't be officially released by then. So I have taken the plunge and bought the Rough Cuts book from CiscoPress.com . At first I was worried that the book wouldn't be updated fast enough for me to study from it and pass the exam with this schedule.

Good news is, the book is now mostly written, all the chapters are there and as a result I feel a lot more confident of booking for the 640-864 exam.

Again, it depends on your timeframe and willingness to study from a book that is still being written. I am quite enjoying the new material that is in the updated book.

SONA is gone and being replaced by Borderless Networks which is much more relavent. I don't like the idea of studying old ideas that are no longer current.

Sure a lot of the material will be the same (actually is the same, I have the old book also) but I wouldn't recommend using the old book to study for the new exam.

So the question is, how soon do you want to sit the exam?

There are other resources that are still missing, the Boson exam that you might pay for hasn't been updated yet. Also if you buy the Rough Cuts, its only available as an eBook (obviously) which means there's no exam CD that comes with the book which might be a bit off putting.

I hope this helps?  I haven't booked my exam yet (waiting on funds) but will be booking for the new 640-864 and hoping to sit it mid April. I'm not sure of the exact date the old one is expired (is it begining or end of April?) but either way I'm going for the new material.

--

Ryan

• Ryan Ruckley CCNP 378 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009

I would recommend doing all of your CCNP first then trying the CCDA. There's a lot of overlap between the two in terms of theory. Sure CCDA doesn't have any configuration but there's quite a bit of design throughout CCNP.

I also wouldn't try to insert CCDA inbetween CCNP exams as the way CCNP is structured, when you take TSHOOT you draw on everything in ROUTE and SWITCH and thus you would want to take TSHOOT soon after passing the other two lest you start to forget some things.

In fact this is the approach I've taken. I did my CCNP between April and Dec last year and now am spending the first three months studying for CCDA. CCDP comes after that.

If you look at it this way, by the time you complete CCDP the new CCDA exam should be well established and all study materials should have been updated by then.

--

Ryan

• Scott D 59 posts since
    Jul 30, 2010

Yeah I just finished my CCNP and now here I am caught up on what to do next for my CCDA.. The old test is valid until the end of the month and there are books that cover all of that material and then there is the new test that is now available and covers more recent material but there arn't any release cisco press books until end of may/june. I don't want to put that much of a gap in between my studies and I want to get towards that DP..

I really wish I could just skip the DA and go straight into learning the ARCH studies.

Any recommendations? I honestly think I could learn the 640-863 material AND pass that exam before the end of April HOWEVER I dont really want to go and learn and pass an exam that is going out the door vs the newer version which is based on more recent material.

• Freed 13 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010

Hi Scott

I'm going for the old syllabus CCDA(640-863) as I got more course material on it. Bought the v2 book by Diane Teare (CiscoPress) and downloaded the video course from the Cisco Partner Education Connection(if you are a partner). The video does not cover as much detail as the book, not close, so I'm going for valid practise exams from Boson to see what level of detail will be asked. Surely hope the video material will do as the book, 900 odd pages is just too hectic for me, in short timeframe...Will write on the 15th April...!!! I just hope that this old move don't bite me in the back like an old CCNP(Switching) exam did. I passed and then found out that CCNA was not recertified because the exam was too old(still valid though for CCNP...). At least this time it is entry level so I have nothing to recertify, nothing to loose. I hope. Nothing I know about. If I do not make it, even before end April, which I seriously doubt, I can just add the little bit of new training on the revised subjects and write the new...If that easy.

• Scott D 59 posts since
    Jul 30, 2010
    7. Apr 4, 2011 4:11 PM (in response to Freed)
    Re: any help on where i should start: 640-863 or 864...

Yeah I went ahead and bought the old version of the book because I am really just aiming to get this done by the end of the month. So even though I'd rather learn the new material I am kind of forced to learn the old material.

• Freed 13 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010
    8. Apr 19, 2011 1:33 PM (in response to Scott D)

Failed the exam on the 15th...Won't stop until I've done it, so I will retake it in the near future. I saw the old exam expiry date is extended until the 14th June 2011(as per CCDA Syllabus tab on CLN), unless it is a typo...the date for the new exam seem to be a typo...january next year...can't be, awaiting confirmation from CLN about the old. That will be good news for me as I won't need to buy new material, I'm starting a new attempt tonight still.

• Scott D 59 posts since
    Jul 30, 2010
    9. Apr 19, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to Freed)

Hrmm.. I'm not sure where you are looking but on the website it still has the april 30th date on there and that the new exam is already out as of january 2011.. Either way I'm planning to take mine this friday and see how that goes then if need be have a week to brush up before it expires.

• Freed 13 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010
    10. Apr 20, 2011 12:32 PM (in response to Scott D)

Check out this URL: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccda/syllabus . But I'm awaiting response from Cisco to be sure the 640-863 date is correct as the date for 864 is definitely incorrect as some guys wrote 864 already...

• Freed 13 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010
    11. Apr 20, 2011 12:49 PM (in response to Scott D)

I hope you pass! enjoy.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)