Skip navigation
Login   |   Register
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNA) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
3628 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2011 2:53 PM by Martin RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Frame Relay Interface DLCI

Feb 13, 2011 11:19 AM

TechKid 91 posts since
Aug 17, 2010

I dont have live equipment so I have to make do with Packet Tracer. Ive noticed that the Inverse Arp works automatcally on live equipment without the need for the command Frame-Relay Interface-DLCI. However in Packet Tracer this command is needed. What I would want to know if there is a difference with Inverse Arp by leaving out the frame relay interface dlci command.

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,327 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009
    1. Feb 13, 2011 1:41 PM (in response to TechKid)
    Re: Frame Relay Interface DLCI

Hello TechKid-

When a physical interface is configured for frame relay, the router assumes that all the PVCs/DLCIs (coming from the frame switch) belong to that physical interface. 

When we create a multipoint sub-interface, and create a frame map there, the frame map lets the router know that the DLCI listed in the frame map is associated with that specific multipoint sub-interface.

When we create a point-to-point sub-interface, we don't create frame maps, but still need to let the router know that the point-to-point interface will be associated with a specific PVC/DLCI, and to do that we would use the frame-relay interface-dlci command, in that point-to-point sub-interface.

Hope that helps,

Keith

Join this discussion now: Login / Register
  • Martin 13,892 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    3. Feb 13, 2011 2:53 PM (in response to TechKid)
    Re: Frame Relay Interface DLCI

Frame relay does work in PT but is limited. Probably it is enough for CCNA level exam.

GNS3 is emulator that closely reflects FR operations and behavior.  If you realy wanna be as close as possible, get GNS3 and IOS as GNS3 runs on real IOS.

see more at gns3.net

Join this discussion now: Login / Register

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)