Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > CCNP R&S Study Group > Discussions
This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
3857 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2011 5:58 AM by layer4down RSS

Currently Being Moderated

xSTP: One BID, Multiple Instances?

Jan 17, 2011 5:58 AM

layer4down 94 posts since
Dec 27, 2010

OK So my latest hang-up here is with xSTP BIDs. I understand the purpose of ext sys-id and MAC Address Reduction (thanks to other posts). While I understand that one can use the same or different MACs for different spanning-tree BIDs using the aforementioned features, I'm not exactly grasping the impact of using trying to use the same BID with multiple VLANS and/or xSTP instances. As I've examined it, the initial MAC commonly used in the BID appears to be the BIA of the system board, not any particular virtual or physical interface. Is there some sort of table/database that restricts us from using the same BID for multiple instances? Is the xSTP instance defined in part or full by the BID? I suppose if I understood the impact of NOT using multiple BIDs then things would make sense. Thanks in advance.

PS- Still haven't gotten through MSTP, so if the answer's there then I apologize in advance.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)